EEAS Headquarters job n° 355790
The European External Action Service (EEAS) supports the work of the High Representative in defining and implementing an effective and coherent EU foreign policy. The EEAS supports histasks of conducting the EU's Common Foreign and Security Policy and chairing the Foreign Affairs Council. It also supports the High Representative in his capacity as Vice President of the Commission with regard to his responsibilities within the Commission in the external relations field including the coordination of other aspects of the EU's external action. The EEAS works in close cooperation with Member States, the Council and relevant services of the European Commission.
The Communications Policy and Public Diplomacy Division leads the European Union's efforts on the public dimension of European diplomacy and its communication on Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, as well as its external action more broadly. It pro-actively communicates and enhances support for the values, policies, priorities, actions and impact of the EU as a global actor among EU citizens and at the international level.
The Division supports the EU Delegations and relevant Missions and Operations around the world in communicating and enhancing support for the EU and its activities and policies to the relevant audiences. It also supports and facilitates the internal communications in the European External Action Service and plays a leading role in information management activities.
The Communications Policy and Public Diplomacy Divisionis seeking to recruit an experienced and dynamic communications professional to reinforce the team. He/she will work to enhance overall EU communication efforts in close coordination with the relevant policy divisions of the EEAS, the European Commission, the EU Delegations, the Spokespersons Service and Member States' communications experts. The successful applicant will report to the Communications Policy and Public Diplomacy Head of Division.
The position of Information and Communication Officer -contract agent FGIV as per article 3b of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS).
The Communications Policy and Public Diplomacy Division of the EEAS is seeking to recruit an Information and Communication Officer who would contribute to the:
• Development of narratives and implementation of the EEAS strategic communications in line with annual thematic communication priorities;
• Assistance to the EU Delegations in the development of coherent and focused strategic communication plans, including analysis of target audiences and communication channels;
• Design and coordination of communication campaigns and projects on specific issues and priorities; drafting of attractive communication materials (writing articles, press materials, social media and audio-visual materials, etc.);
• Development of the narratives to communicate the benefits of the EU policies, values and interests;
• Monitoring and analysis of the perceptions of the EU's policies and values/interests in diverse information environments;
• Coordination and editing of communication materials in close cooperation with other communication officers, including for the website and social media use;
• Ensure that the relevant pages on the EEAS website contain accurate and up to date information, including impact stories, a channel for strategic communication for EU audiences;
• Promote closer cooperation and synergies between the EEAS and the EU institutions in their efforts towards effective EU strategic communications;
• Work with relevant EU Institutions and bodies on strategic medium-long term activities, including regional or country-based communication campaigns and representing the Division in relevant internal and external meetings;
• Support other functions of the Communications Policy and Public Diplomacy Division.
The vacancy is to be filled in accordance with the conditions stipulated under the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS).1
The successful candidate will be offered a contract agent position (Function group IV); renewable contract for a maximum duration of 6 years (with a valid CAST exam).
Candidates for this contract agent IV post should:
• - (i) have passed a valid EPSO CAST in FG IV ;
- (ii) be registered in the EPSO Permanent CAST in FG IV https://epso.europa.eu/apply/job-offers_en?keyword=&contract=37&grade=All&institution=101&location=All
• have completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma;
• have the capacity to work in languages of CFSP and external relations necessary for the performance of their duties. Knowledge of other EU languages would be an asset;
• be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen.
- have ability to maintain diplomatic relations and to ensure representation and
communication in a complex, multicultural environment;
- have capacity to create constructive working relations in the field of external relations with national authorities, international organisations and EU Member States;
- have strong drafting and analytical skills combined with sound judgement;
- have knowledge of external relations, internal policies and functioning of the Union;
- have excellent communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain a network of contacts both within and outside the EEAS;
- have the ability to communicate clearly on complex issues and the capacity to perform with accuracy and in a flexible manner a diversity of tasks in a complex institutional environment;
- have strong service attitude;
- be fluent in English and in French (both orally and in writing);
- have geographical knowledge and/or experience of the Neighbourhood;
- be a flexible team player.
– experience of working in a team in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment;
– experience in working with or within other EU institutions
would be considered as strong assets.
The signature of the contract will be subject to prior favourable opinion of the Medical Service.
The successful candidate might be required to undergo security vetting if she or he does not hold already a Personal Security Clearance to an appropriate level, in accordance with relevant security provisions.
The EEAS is committed to an equal opportunities policy for all its employees and applicants for employment. As an employer, the EEAS is committed to promoting gender equality and to preventing discrimination on any grounds. It actively welcomes applications from all qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds and from the broadest possible geographical basis amongst the EU Member States. We aim at a service which is truly representative of society, where each staff member feels respected, is able to give their best and can develop their full potential.
Candidates with disabilities are invited to contact CONTRACTAGENTS-HQ@eeas.europa.eu in order to accommodate any special needs and provide assistance to ensure the possibility to pass the selection procedure in equality of opportunities with other candidates. If a candidate with a disability is selected for a vacant post, the EEAS is committed to providing reasonable accommodation in accordance with Art 1d.4 of the Staff Regulations.
Please send your CV and cover letter (with your EPSO CAST number) via email to SG-AFFGEN-6-RECRUITMENT@eeas.europa.eu
Deadline for sending application: 20/01/2021 at 18.00 (CET).
Late applications will not be accepted.
The selection panel will make a pre-selection on the basis of the qualifications and professional experience described in the CV and motivational letter, and will produce a shortlist of eligible candidates who best meet the selection criteria for the post. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be informed about the outcome of the pre-selection phase.
The candidates who have been preselected will be invited for an interview by a selection panel. The panel will recommend a shortlist of candidates for a final decision by the Authority Empowered to Conclude Contracts of Employment. The Authority may decide to interview the candidates on the final shortlist before taking this decision.
Place of employment: EEAS Headquarters, Brussels, Belgium
Post available: 01/02/2021
1 Staff Regulations of Officials (SR) and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS). For reference, see
2 Your personal data will be processed in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2018/1725, as implemented by ADMIN(2019)8 Decision of the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy. The privacy statement is available on the Europa website: (http://eeas.europa.eu/data_protection/rights/index_en.htm) and on the EEAS Intranet: