Total number of confirmed cases: 8841
(Information current as of 1 April 2021)
Due to the high number of COVID-19 cases in Ulaanbaatar, the authorities maintained the Orange level of alert for coronavirus transmission and extended the heightened state of readiness until 30 April. During this period, vehicle and pedestrian movement will be restricted from 23:00 till 06:00 and the operation of several businesses will be restricted.
Traffic in and out of Ulaanbaatar is suspended, except for selected urgencies. A PCR test result performed within 72 hours, national ID card, and medical certificate must be presented at checkpoints.
Following businesses and services are suspended between 3 and 18 April:
- Restaurants, pubs and lounges.
- Swimming pools, resorts, saunas, spas and fitness centres.
- Cinemas, entertainment and training centres.
Following services are limited from 3 to 18 April:
- Food services to be provided only through delivery.
- Hairdresser and beauty salons will be closed during weekends.
- Large markets such as Narantuul, Bars, Kharkhorin are closed during weekends and limit capacity up to 30%.
- Shops and shopping centres will close at 20:00.
Other services are allowed to operate with COVID-19 prevention guidelines in place.
Keeping a safe social distance, limiting social contacts and the time spent in public places is recommended. The authorities are urging to limit the gathering to no more than five people in one place. Elderly people over the age of 60 are advised to stay at home unless necessary.
The authorities are advising to limit number of staff (maximum 30%) in the office and encourage teleworking, especially for parents with children aged 0-12.
Charter flights will be organised to:
- Seoul on 1, 6, 14, 21, 23 (transit), 26 and 27 April;
- Tokyo on 5 and 13 April;
- Istanbul on 10 April;
- Frankfurt 15 and 29 April;
- Everyone is required to wear a facemask in public places. Non-compliance is subjected to a fine up to MNT 50 000 (EUR 15).
- It is mandatory for everyone to scan a QR code in public places using the “ebarimt” app.
- In the majority of public places visitors are required to register their visit by leaving their contact details on a sign up sheet or scanning a QR code using the “ebarimt” app. Download here: Android iOS. Foreign residents can sign-up for the app using their phone number, email address, and passport number.
- Entry of all passengers through all border checkpoints is suspended. Regular passenger flights, international passenger trains are suspended and the land borders of Mongolia with China and Russia remain closed.
- Limited charter flights are organised to repatriate Mongolian citizens. EU citizens with valid residency and work permits can make use of these flights. EU citizens are advised to contact Mongolian diplomatic missions abroad for further information.
- A negative COVID PCR test is required upon entry. The test must be taken within 72 hours before arrival.
- The charter flights are operated by MIAT Mongolian Airlines. For schedules, reservation and prices please contact the airlines directly: tel.: (11) 333999 or Central Tower, tel.: (11) 313385 or Encanto Tower tel.: (11) 322118; or AirTrans ticketing agency City Plaza, tel.: (11) 303030.
- Upon entry, foreign and Mongolian citizens are subject to a 7-day quarantine at a government facility at their own expense and no home isolation. During the quarantine period, PCR tests will be conducted on the 3rd and the 5th day.
- Persons who have received the full dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, only upon presenting proof of vaccination, will be exempted from quarantine.
- Now, it is possible to choose isolation facility among three levels.
- We advise EU citizens to keep regular contact with their representing Embassy and consult the travel advice issued by EU Member States as well as local resources.
The restriction on entry does not apply to:
- Accredited staff and their direct family members of diplomatic missions and offices of international organisations in Mongolia (to be quarantined in facilities for 7 days upon arrival and home longer home isolation needed as per Mongolian citizens);
- Foreign nationals who are direct family members of Mongolian nationals (to be quarantined in facilities for 7 days upon arrival and no home isolation as per Mongolian citizens);
- Holders of valid visas, residency and work permits might be allowed to enter Mongolia. Foreign citizens are advised to contact Mongolian diplomatic missions abroad for further information.
Categories of pandemic level:
- Red – Level 4: If community transmission reported
- Orange – Level 3: If cluster transmission reported
- Yellow – Level 2: If transmitted (imported) infection reported
- Green – Level 1: If no infection reported in the last 28 days
EU Member States Travel Advice