Total number of confirmed cases: 2174
(Information current as of 10 February 2021)
To minimize the risks of COVID-19 outbreak in Ulaanbaatar, the Government has decided to set another lockdown in the capital from 06.00 am 11 February to 6.00 am 23 February, coinciding with Tsagaan Sar – Lunar New Year celebrations. During this period strict restriction of movement will be enforced, however some services will continue to function. It is strictly forbidden to visit other households during the lockdown and violations will be penalised by MNT 500 000 (EUR 144). During the lockdown, the “one door-one test” campaign will run to test 420 000 households. Refusing the testing can result in a fine of MNT 100 000 (EUR 29).
During the lockdown only one person from each household is allowed to go to the nearest grocery store and pharmacy. People working in the permitted sectors must present their employee identification cards and will be allowed to travel between 08:00-18:00. Public transportation will operate between 07:00-10:00 and 17:00-20:00 only for people who are permitted to work.
Charter flights will be organised to Seoul on 19 and 26 February, to Istanbul on 24 February to repatriate Mongolian nationals. EU citizens can make use of these return flights only with the authorisation of the State Emergency Commission. We advise EU citizens to contact Mongolian Missions abroad for more information. Domestic flights are suspended.
Itis mandatory for everyone to scan a QR code in public places using the “ebarimt” app. Download here: Android iOS
Traffic in and out of Ulaanbaatar will be restricted during the lockdown, except for selected urgencies. A PCR test result, national ID card, and medical certificate must be presented at checkpoints. People entering Ulaanbaatar for emergency medical issues, will be tested at the checkpoints.
The following services are among those partially in function during the lockdown:
- Food stores
- Funeral services
- Petrol stations
- Sanitation service
- Postal service
- Refined coal sale
- Electricity, heating, and water supply
- Entry of all passengers through all border checkpoints is suspended.
- Charter flights can be organised to repatriate Mongolian citizens. Pending authorisation, EU citizens with valid residency and work permits can make use of these flights. EU citizens are advised to contact Mongolian diplomatic missions abroad for further information.
- A negative COVID test is required upon entry.
- The charter flights are operated by MIAT Mongolian Airlines. For schedules, reservation and prices please contact the airlines directly: tel.: (11) 333999 or Central Tower, tel.: (11) 313385 or Encanto Tower tel.: (11) 322118; or AirTrans ticketing agency City Plaza, tel.: (11) 303030.
The restriction on entry entails:
- Suspension of all passenger flights;
- Suspension of international passenger train travel;
- Closure of all land borders of Mongolia with China and Russia.
- Upon entry, foreign and Mongolian citizens are subject to a 14-day quarantine at a government facility at their own expense and 7 days home isolation.
- We advise EU citizens to keep regular contact with their representing Embassy and consult the travel advice issued by EU Member States as well as local resources.
The restriction on entry does not apply to:
- Accredited staff and their direct family members of diplomatic missions and offices of international organisations in Mongolia (to be quarantined in facilities for 14 days upon arrival and are requested to self-isolate for 7 days at home as per Mongolian citizens);
- Foreign nationals who are direct family members of Mongolian nationals (to be quarantined in facilities for 14 days upon arrival and are requested to self-isolate for 7 days at home as per Mongolian citizens);
- Holders of valid visas, residency and work permits might be allowed to enter Mongolia. Foreign citizens are advised to contact Mongolian diplomatic missions abroad for further information.
- Everyone is required to wear a facemask in public places. Non-compliance is subjected to a fine up to MNT 50 000 (EUR 15).
EU Member States Travel Advice