EEAS Headquarters job n° 255283
The European External Action Service (EEAS) supports the work of the High Representative in defining and implementing an effective and coherent EU foreign policy. The EEAS supports his tasks of conducting the EU's Common Foreign and Security Policy and chairing the Foreign Affairs Council. It also supports the High Representative in his capacity as Vice President of the Commission with regard to his responsibilities within the Commission in the external relations field including the coordination of other aspects of the EU's external action. The EEAS works in close cooperation with Member States, the Council and relevant services of the European Commission.
The office of the Deputy Secretary-General for Political Affairs/Political Director supports the DSG in his work and regularly liaises with relevant EEAS services, the Cabinet of the HR/VP, as well as EU institutions and Member States.
The position of Administrative Assistant to the Deputy Secretary-General for Political Affairs – contract agent FGIII as per article 3b of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS).
We are seeking a highly motivated colleague who will fulfil the following administrative tasks in the office of the Deputy Secretary-General for Political Affairs:
• assisting with correspondence related to appointments and preparation of missions and meetings of the DSG and his team;
• updating the planning calendar of the DSG;
• assisting with mission preparations, including travel, accommodation and visa arrangements and prepare travel claims;
• establishing and maintaining an updated list of contacts;
• filing and storing of documents, including setting up a systematic archive (IT and hard copy) for reports and correspondence;
• maintaining close contact with EEAS support services and other relevant actors on office-related administrative issues (i.e. office equipment, furniture, telephones, computers, and IT connections);
• performing any other relevant administrative tasks as required.
The vacancy is to be filled in accordance with the conditions stipulated under the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS).1
The successful candidate will be offered a contract agent position (Function group III); renewable contract for a maximum duration of 6 years (with a valid CAST exam).
Candidates for this contract agent III post should:
• (i) have passed a valid EPSO CAST in a valid FG for this post
• (ii) be registered in the EPSO Permanent CAST in a valid FG for this post https://epso.europa.eu/apply/job-offers_en?keyword=&contract=37&grade=All&institution=101&location=All
• have a level of post-secondary education attested by a diploma or a level of secondary education attested by a diploma giving access to post-secondary education and appropriate professional experience of three year;
• have the capacity to work in languages of CFSP and external relations necessary for the performance of their duties. Knowledge of other EU languages would be an asset;
• be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen.
– have ability to establish and maintain effective work relations in a fast-paced and multicultural environment;
– have relevant professional experience in the field of administration, preferably in EU institutions, EUSR offices or CSDP missions;
– have prior experience in dealing with basic protocol function with national authorities, international organisations and EU Member States;
– have basic knowledge of external relations, internal policies and functioning of the Union;
– have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain a network of contacts both within and outside the EEAS;
– have the ability to communicate clearly and the capacity to perform with accuracy a diversity of tasks;
– have excellent organisational skills and ability to prioritise tasks;
– have ability to operate Windows, including Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint);
– be a flexible team player, capable to work effectively under stress;
– have strong service and team attitude;
– be fluent in English and in French (both orally and in writing).
The EEAS is committed to an equal opportunities policy for all its employees and applicants for employment. As an employer, the EEAS is committed to promoting gender equality and to preventing discrimination on any grounds. It actively welcomes applications from all qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds and from the broadest possible geographical basis amongst the EU Member States. We aim at a service which is truly representative of society, where each staff member feels respected, is able to give their best and can develop their full potential.
Candidates with disabilities are invited to contact CONTRACTAGENTS-HQ@eeas.europa.eu in order to accommodate any special needs and provide assistance to ensure the possibility to pass the selection procedure in equality of opportunities with other candidates. If a candidate with a disability is selected for a vacant post, the EEAS is committed to providing reasonable accommodation in accordance with Art 1d.4 of the Staff Regulations.
The signature of the contract will be subject to prior favourable opinion of the Medical Service.
The successful candidate might be required to undergo security vetting if she or he does not hold already a Personal Security Clearance to an appropriate level, in accordance with relevant security provisions.
Please send your CV and cover letter (with your EPSO CAST number) via email to POL@eeas.europa.eu
Deadline for applications: 22 January 2021 at 18.00 CET.
Interviews will be scheduled in in the course of the 1st quarter 2021.
Candidates shall draft their CV following the European CV form which can be found at the following internet address: http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/documents/curriculum-vitae.
Late applications will not be accepted.
The selection panel will make a pre-selection on the basis of the qualifications and professional experience described in the CV and motivational letter, and will produce a shortlist of eligible candidates who best meet the selection criteria for the post. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be informed about the outcome of the pre-selection phase.
The candidates who have been preselected will be invited for an interview by a selection panel. The panel will recommend a shortlist of candidates for a final decision by the Authority Authorised to Conclude Contracts of Employment. The Authority may decide to interview the candidates on the final shortlist before taking this decision.
Place of employment: EEAS Headquarters, Brussels, Belgium
Post available starting from 1 March 2021.
1 Staff Regulations of Officials (SR) and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS). For reference, see
2 Your personal data will be processed in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2018/1725, as implemented by ADMIN(2019)8 Decision of the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy. The privacy statement is available on the Europa website: (http://eeas.europa.eu/data_protection/rights/index_en.htm) and on the EEAS Intranet: