The EU policy in this field has 3 main strands:
- non-proliferation – persuade non-nuclear states to stay that way, by abiding by and eventually joining the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT).
- disarmament – persuade existing nuclear states to reduce their nuclear arsenals
- terrorism – prevent nuclear material or weapons falling into the hands of non-state groups
Key policy tools
- Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT)
- Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT)
- UNSC Resolution 1540
- Global Initiative to Combat Nuclear Terrorism (GICNT)
The EU participates in the 5-yearly Review Conferences for the NPT.
Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT)
The EU has 2 goals:
- persuade all relevant parties to sign the CTBT
- ensure the CTBT enters into force
/file/eubrochure2016finalpdf_enBrochure on the EU's special effort in support of the comprehensive nuclear-test-ban Treaty
The EU regularly calls for negotiations in the Conference on Disarmament on a treaty banning the production of fissile material for nuclear weapons or other nuclear explosive devices.
The EU participates in, or contributes to, initiatives such as:
- IAEA programmes for safe and secure nuclear power
- Proliferation Security Initiative
- Global Initiative to Combat Nuclear Terrorism
- Nuclear Security Summit
- Nuclear Suppliers Group & Zangger Committee (export control regimes).
- Council Decision in support for the activities of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organisation (CTBTO) (Decision (CFSP)2020/901)
- Council Decision in support of activities leading up to the 2020 NPT RevCon (Decision (CFSP) 2019/615)
- Council Decision in relation to the Fissile Material Cut-Off Treaty (Decision 2017/2284/CFSP)
- Council Decision on support for the activities of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) (Decision 2016/2383/CFSP)
- Council Decision on the establishment and secure management of a Low Enriched Uranium (LEU) Bank (Decision 2016/2001/CFSP)
- Council Decision promoting the universal adherence to and the effective implementation of the International Convention for the Suppression of Acts of Nuclear Terrorism (ICSANT) (Decision (CFSP)2018/1939)