The European Union currently has 142 delegations which are placed under the authority of the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, who is also Vice President of the European Commission.
The European External Action Service (EEAS) is seeking a highly motivated contract agent FG IV to occupy the post of Interpreter in the EU Delegation to Beijing.
The interpreter will be required to interpret for the Head of Delegation in official meetings held with Chinese counterparts. The Interpreter will also be required to interpret and coordinate teams of interpreters for the provision of interpreting for EU China Summits held in China and in Brussels, as well as other high-level meetings, and Commissioner visits to China.
The interpreter will be required to translate and proofread translations of texts to be used by the Delegation, or to be published by the Delegation.
The interpreter will be required to oversee and monitor a pool of freelance interpreters when needed in contacts with the Chinese government.
The interpreter will also be required to assist the HOD and provide support on protocol matters for high-level visits and for the visits by the HOD to other parts of China.
Finally the interpreter will be required to provide support to DG Interpretation projects with and in China, and to provide interpreter training to EU Member State Embassy staff and to Delegation staff.
In order to be eligible for the post of contract agent FG IV candidates must:
- (i) have passed a EPSO CAST in FG IV or
- (ii) be registered in the EPSO Permanent CAST in FG IV https://epso.europa.eu/apply/job-offers_en?keyword=&contract=37&grade=All&institution=101&location=All
Candidates must meet the minimum qualifications for engagement as contract agent FG IV:
- (i) Have a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma, or
- (ii) in exceptional circumstances and where justified in the interest of the service, professional training of an equivalent level (related to the nature of the tasks and qualifications indicated in the Job Description).
- Be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen.
- Proven experience as a conference interpreter (consecutive and simultaneous interpreting) from Chinese Putonghua into an official language of the EU, and from an official language of the EU into Chinese Putonghua.
- Proven experience of interpreting (consecutive and simultaneous) for the EU institutions and/or high-level EU Member State meetings from and into Chinese Putonghua.
- Proven experience of written translation of official policy and legal text from Chinese into an official language of the EU and from an EU official language into Chinese.
- Proven experience in managing a team of conference interpreters in the context of an international conference or a high-level official delegation visit.
- Experience in external relations; experience in interpreter training;
- experience in diplomatic protocol and the organisation of high-level official meetings and events;
- experience in handling secure communications and classified information;
- knowledge of IT tools used in EU institutions
- experience of working in a team in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment;
- will be considered as strong assets.
- General skills and competences
- A degree in or proven experience of conference interpreting from Chinese Putonghua into an official language of the EU, and from an official language of the EU into Chinese Putonghua.
- Proven ability to translate from Chinese Putonghua into an official language of the EU, and from an official language of the EU into Chinese Putonghua.
- Capacity to assimilate and work on files dealing with many different topics and issues.
- Proven experience of diplomatic protocol and logistical organisation of official delegations to China.
- Have the capacity to work in languages of CFSP and external relations necessary for the performance of their duties. In this specific case excellent knowledge of Chinese Putonghua and English is indispensable. Knowledge of other EU languages would be an asset.
- Applicants must be able to work in a different socio-cultural environment and to adapt quickly to evolving situations.
- As a matter of policy, applications of individuals who have the dual nationality of the host country or the partner of whom has the nationality of the host country will be considered on a case-by-case basis. The EEAS examines if there could be a conflict of interest and the consequence of a possible refusal by the host country to grant diplomatic immunity to the staff member and or his/her partner and family, as well as possible security risks. The HR Department may ask for additional information from the applicant in this context.
- Candidates are deemed to be fully aware of the local living conditions, including information concerning the accommodation, before applying. Individual post reports are available from EEAS.BA.HR.3, Rights and Obligations (RIGHTS-AND-OBLIGATIONS@eeas.europa.eu).
- Candidates should ensure that they are also fully aware of the provisions of Annex X of the SR.
Applications (CV and motivation letters) are to be sent to Christoph Sorg, Head of Administration at the EU Delegation to firstname.lastname@example.org with copy to email@example.com
In your application, please mention your EPSO candidate number.
Candidates shall draft their CV following the European CV form which can be found at the following internet address: http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/documents/curriculum-vitae
The closing date for the submission of applications is 16/02/2020 at 18.00 (CET). Late applications will not be accepted.
The selection panel will make a pre-selection on the basis of the qualifications and professional experience described in the CV and motivational letter, and will produce a shortlist of eligible candidates who best meet the selection criteria for the post.
The preselected candidates will be invited for an interview by a selection panel. The panel will recommend a shortlist of candidates for a final decision by the Authority Empowered to Conclude Contracts of Employment.
SPECIFIC CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
The successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting if (s) he does not already hold security clearance to an appropriate level (EU SECRET), in accordance with the relevant security provisions.
GENERAL CONDITIONS FOR CONTRACT AGENT POSTS
Contract agent 3A position (Function group IV). Contract for a period of 3 years, renewable for a total duration of maximum 6 years.
Successful candidates must undergo a medical examination to ensure that they are physically fit to perform their duties. When selected candidates undergo their pre‑rotation medical visit, they should indicate any serious health problems or requirements for specialised medical treatment for themselves and/or for the individuals who will accompany them. If staff members withhold such information they will not benefit from a reimbursement by the institution of certain costs, e.g. expenses relating to medical evacuation, or to a return to Headquarters in the case of early rotation.
Job available from: 01/09/2020
LCA (living conditions allowances): 30%