The European External Action Service (EEAS), which supports the work of the High Representative in defining and implementing an effective and coherent EU foreign policy. The EEAS supports her tasks of conducting the EU's Common Foreign and Security Policy and chairing the Foreign Affairs Council. It also supports the High Representative in her capacity as Vice President of the Commission with regard to her responsibilities within the Commission in the external relations field including the coordination of other aspects of the EU's external action. The EEAS works in close cooperation with Member States, the Council and relevant services of the European Commission.
The budget division EEAS BA.BS.1 is responsible for the establishment of the administrative budget of the organisation covering the Headquarters and the EU-Delegations network as well as all issues relating to accounting quality and management of the delegations imprest accounts. The total amount to be managed is approximatively 900 M€ and includes the EEAS budget (694 M€) and the contribution of the European Commission to the functioning of the EU delegations. The division is also responsible for the management of the missions, travel of experts and representation costs of the EEAS.
We are looking for a colleague to take over the role of Missions Manager as part of a team of 4 staff, and under the coordination of a Sector Manager.
She/he will be responsible for the proper implementation of the Missions Guide and of all additional instructions related to the management of missions, providing guidance on mission preparation and the use of MIPS, but also to provide advice on the accounting and mission's management to EEAS HQ and 140 Delegations. She/he will also have to supervise the quality of the invoicing received from AMEX (the HQ travel agency), execute the payments of the HQ missions, contribute to the overall monitoring of the EEAS Missions budget and supervise actions related to the representation and sponsoring activities in delegation.
This post requires a dedicated and pro-active team player, with good communication and analytical skills and with a very client-oriented approach.
The main responsibilities are as follows:
- Act as point of contact for mission performers in the EEAS, giving assistance and advice concerning the establishment of mission orders and expenses claims.
- Act as point of contact for Delegations (Heads of administration and administrative staff), giving assistance and advice concerning the establishment of mission orders, expenses claims, payment of missions, follow up of the mission budget of the Delegation.
- Payment of mission expenses claims to mission performers from HQ following validation by the PMO.
- Support the Head of Sector in the general management of MIPS, the missions budget and the compliance with financial and budgetary rules, procedures and deadlines.
- Assist the various HQ entities with issues related to missions management and missions budget management
- Ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements (Missions Guide, Financial Regulations etc.) and perform ad-hoc verifications on the situation of the Delegation and on the PMO calculations.
- Perform actions related to representation and sponsoring activities in delegation, notably reporting.
- Contribute to the replies to various requests in relation to ex-post controls and audits and implementation and follow up recommendations flowing from ex-post controls or audits.
- Provide support to management, divisions and delegations of the EEAS to implement financial and budgetary procedures, norms and methods, including on-the-spot training.
- Provide adequate support and information to the management to facilitate effective planning and management of budget resources for missions and experts travel.
- Assist with the preparation of relevant manuals and instructions for guidance to users, both in Delegations and in Headquarters.
- Prepare and perform, in collaboration with the other team members, short trainings or presentations on aspects related to MIPS and Missions Management.
- Acting as financial initiator of expenses claims for invited experts and pre-posting trainees invited to meetings in accordance with existing rules, and prepare of payment orders for reimbursement.
- Prepare payment orders based on invoices, debit notes and internal documents related to services financed by the budget lines managed by the Division (missions, experts, etc..).
- Participate in the follow up of the budget related to missions and experts managed by the Division.
- Advise the Head of Sector on service improvements.
Candidates for this contract agent III post should:
- (i) have passed a valid EPSO CAST in FG III ; or
- (ii) be registered in the EPSO Permanent CAST in FG III https://epso.europa.eu/apply/job-offers_en?keyword=&contract=37&grade=All&institution=101&location=All
- have a level of post-secondary education attested by a diploma or a level of secondary education attested by a diploma giving acces to post-secondary education and appropriate professional experience of three year;
- have the capacity to work in languages of CFSP and external relations necessary for the performance of their duties. Knowledge of other EU languages would be an asset.
- demonstrate flexibility and a pro-active attitude, the ability to work in a team but also independently,
- be client and problem solving oriented,
- be willing to learn and permanently update their skills,
- have very good capacity to communicate in French and English (verbally and in writing),
- have knowledge of the financial circuits and ABAC,
- have a sound knowledge of the EU Financial Regulations and financial procedures, as well as other relevant rules,
- have good inter-personal and communication skills,
- have experience of working in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment,
- be able to deliver timely and high quality results.
- experience of working with MIPS, ABD+, advanced Excel,
- experience of working with travel agencies, follow up of travel bookings and invoices, regularisation of missions costs, and
- experience in reporting (Business Object, other tools)
would be considered as strong assets.
SPECIFIC CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting if (s)he does not already hold security clearance to an appropriate level (EU SECRET), in accordance with the relevant security provisions.
PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT
Contract agent position (Function group III); renewable contract for a maximum duration of 6 years (with a valid CAST exam).
The selection panel will make a pre-selection on the basis of the qualifications and professional experience described in the CV and motivational letter, and will produce a shortlist of eligible candidates who best meet the selection criteria for the post.
The candidates who have been preselected will be invited for an interview by a selection panel. The panel will recommend a shortlist of candidates for a final decision by the Authority Empowered to Conclude Contracts of Employment. The Authority may decide to interview the candidates on the final shortlist before taking this decision.
Starting date: 15.10.2019 TBC
Interviews will be scheduled in September 2019.
Deadline for sending application: Please send your C.V. and cover letter to EEAS BA BS 1 MISSIONS (BA-BS-1-MISSIONS@eeas.europa.eu) by 10th of September 2019.