Job n° 153027
Division "AFRICA 1", EEAS HEADQUARTERS
The European External Action Service (EEAS) supports the work of the High Representative in defining and implementing an effective and coherent EU foreign policy. The EEAS supports her tasks of conducting the EU's Common Foreign and Security Policy and chairing the Foreign Affairs Council. It also supports the High Representative in her capacity as Vice President of the Commission with regard to her responsibilities within the Commission in the external relations field including the coordination of other aspects of the EU's external action. The EEAS works in close cooperation with Member States, the Council and relevant services of the European Commission.
The Division "AFRICA 1" is responsible for relations with the 9 countries in the Horn of Africa and East Africa (Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda) as well as of the relations with the Regional Economic Communities (RECs), i.e. the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD), the East African Community (EAC), the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA).
The position of Policy Officer in charge of Ethiopia and migration in the Horn of Africa.
We are seeking a highly motivated colleague who will contribute to the management of the overall EC relations with Ethiopia, as well as to the definition and the implementation of all EU policies (i.a. political, security, development co-operation and economic) concerning relations with Ethiopia. He/she will also act as focal Point for migration in the Horn of Africa, in particular for the Khartoum Process. Tasks will include:
- Elaborate and contribute towards the definition of EU policies concerning political, economic, security, development, humanitarian or other relations in co-ordination with Member States, international organisations, Ethiopian Government representatives (including from Embassy in Brussels) and other donors.
- Co-ordinate, finalise and revise, as required, strategy papers on the country and its region. Where appropriate, this may require liaison and working together with the Council, and with Member States.
- Participate in annual reviews, mid-term reviews and end-of-terms reviews.
- Deliver briefings, correspondences, statements, dossiers, speeches and articles of good standard within agreed deadlines.
- Provide relevant up-to-date information for weekly reports, pamphlet and website.
- Participate where appropriate in meetings on Ethiopia.
- Contribute to horizontal and thematic policy formulation and delivery from a geographical perspective.
- Propose lines for negotiation and dialogues with all parties involved in EU-Ethiopia relations, and where needed participate to the negotiations.
- Take contact with decision-makers in Member States and with other major players in relation to political, security and co-operation matters.
Coordination and Inter-institutional relations
- Carry out and respond to Inter-Service Consultations, and organise country team meetings.
- Participate in general co-ordination of relations with the EU Special Representative for the Horn of Africa.
- Monitor all Community policies having impact on the area assigned and ensure coherence (Trade, Humanitarian assistance, support for security operations, human rights, etc.).
- Help in the organisation and maintenance of relations, co-ordination and contacts with the other EU Institutions.
- Draft answers to oral and written questions and petitions of MEPs.
- Assist the Commission's representative, and exceptionally assure representation at Council meetings on political and development strategy issues, at EP committee meetings or at other inter-institutional and international meeting (e.g. consultative groups) concerning Ethiopia as well as migration in the Horn of Africa (in particular Khartoum Process meetings).
Candidates for this contract agent IV post should:
- - (i) have passed a valid EPSO CAST in FG IV ; or
- (ii) be registered in the EPSO Permanent CAST in FG IV https://epso.europa.eu/apply/job-offers_en?keyword=&contract=37&grade=All&institution=101&location=All
- have completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma;
- have the capacity to work in languages of CFSP and external relations necessary for the performance of their duties. Knowledge of other EU languages would be an asset.
- Be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen
- have ability to maintain diplomatic relations and to ensure representation and
- communication in a complex, multicultural environment;
- have capacity to create constructive working relations in the field of external relations with national authorities, international organisations and EU Member States;
- have strong drafting and analytical skills combined with sound judgement;
- have knowledge of external relations, internal policies and functioning of the Union;
- have excellent communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain a network of contacts both within and outside the EEAS;
- have the ability to communicate clearly on complex issues and the capacity to perform with accuracy and in a flexible manner a diversity of tasks in a complex institutional environment;
- have strong service attitude;
- be fluent in English and in French (both orally and in writing);
- have geographical knowledge and/or experience of the Neighbourhood;
- be a flexible team player.
- experience of working in a team in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment;
- experience in working with or within other EU institutions would be considered as strong assets.
PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT
SPECIFIC CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
The successful candidates will be required to undergo security vetting if they do not already hold security clearance to an appropriate level (EU SECRET), in accordance with the relevant security provisions.
Contract agent position (Function group IV); renewable contract for a maximum duration of 6 years (with a valid CAST exam).
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURE
Deadline for sending application. Please send your cv and cover letter (with your EPSO CAST number) to AFRICAfirstname.lastname@example.org by 4/04/2019.
The selection panel will make a pre-selection on the basis of the qualifications and professional experience described in the CV and motivational letter, and will produce a shortlist of eligible candidates who best meet the selection criteria for the post.
The candidates who have been preselected will be invited for an interview by a selection panel. The panel will recommend a shortlist of candidates for a final decision by the Authority Empowered to Conclude Contracts of Employment. The Authority may decide to interview the candidates on the final shortlist before taking this decision.
Interviews will be scheduled in April 2019
Starting date: 1st July 2019 in EEAS Headquarters