The European External Action Service (EEAS), which supports the work of the High Representative in defining and implementing an effective and coherent EU foreign policy. The EEAS supports her tasks of conducting the EU's Common Foreign and Security Policy and chairing the Foreign Affairs Council. It also supports the High Representative in her capacity as Vice President of the Commission with regard to her responsibilities within the Commission in the external relations field including the coordination of other aspects of the EU's external action. The EEAS works in close cooperation with Member States, the Council and relevant services of the European Commission.
The Civilian Planning and Conduct Capability (CPCC) is the permanent structure supporting the Civilian Operations Commander. The Civilian Operations Commander is the overall Commander at the strategic level of currently 10 civilian CSDP crisis management missions and provides strategic guidance and direction to the Heads of Mission. The Civilian Operations Commander reports directly to the High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy and through her to the Council of the EU. Under the political control and strategic direction of the Political and Security Committee and the overall authority of the High Representative, the Civilian Operations Commander ensures the effective planning and conduct of civilian CSDP crisis management operations, as well as the proper implementation of all mission-related tasks.
The position of Policy Officer in the Conduct of Operations Division (CPCC.1)
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Division "Conduct of Operations" through a geographical Head of Sector in the CPCC, the Policy Officer is expected to perform the following tasks in relation to civilian CSDP Missions:
Strategic/policy analysis and advice:
- Prepare, take part and, as appropriate, represent CPCC in the discussions of the working parties and committees concerned with the above areas, especially the Committee for Civilian Aspects of Crisis Management, the Political and Security Committee, the Coreper and the Council;
- Prepare and contribute to analytical notes, reports, briefing notes, speeches or any other document for the HR/VP, CPCC hierarchy as well as EEAS management and services;
- Draft notes or any other documents relating to the discussions taking place in those areas;
- Follow closely the development of EU policy concerning the mission area and contribute to policy-making process and decisions as relevant.
Liaison with Member States, EU institutions and other stakeholders:
- Act as a focal point for the mission, maintain contact with the relevant services within the EEAS, including CMPD and the Military Staff and relevant EUSR offices, and within the Commission and Council Secretariat, for the purposes of CSDP operations;
- Maintain contact with representatives of Member States and contributing Third States;
- Maintain contact with relevant international stakeholders (such as the UN, the OSCE, the Council of Europe, other international organisations and the Third States).
Conduct of Operations:
- Oversee day-to-day conduct of the mission and verify the implementation of the mission mandate, including by providing political and strategic expertise, maintaining records of all significant operational matters; visiting the mission on a regular basis;
- Contribute to the formulation of directives and instructions;
- Provide political and operational advise to the relevant enabling and support services (e.g. MSD, FPI, Security Office, Legal service) to ensure appropriate support to the operations of the Mission.
- Contribute to the assessment and refocusing of the mission, as required, by providing operational expertise inter alia through reports, briefing notes and analytical summaries;
- Contribute to the strategic review of the mission;
- Contribute to the strategic and operational planning of new civilian CSDP operations and, in doing so, ensuring consistency with relevant agreed documents and taking account of lessons learnt from past and ongoing missions;
- Contribute to horizontal discussions related to development of CSDP policy and CSDP tools in general.
- Represent CPCC in meetings with internal and external stakeholders and provide information on specific CSDP operations or other CSDP-related topics;
- Contribute to public information activities of the EEAS in the CSDP area;
- Carry out any other task as required.
B. Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in political science, international relations, law or a related area relevant to the post. A legal background would be an asset;
- Previous relevant professional experience desirable;
- Knowledge of the EU, particularly related to the Common Foreign and Security Policy (CFSP), including the Common Security and Defence Policy (CSDP);
- Excellent level of English and French (both orally and in writing);
- International experience, particularly in crisis areas with multinational and/or international organizations, ideally in a political advisory capacity; experience in dealing with civilian CSDP missions would be an asset.
- Ability to maintain objectivity in complex scenarios and to display sensitivity and sound judgement;
- Have strong organisational and managerial skills, ability to work under pressure within short deadlines and to manage multiple tasks and unexpected demands;
- Have excellent analytical skills;
- Have excellent drafting skills;
- Have excellent interpersonal skills;
- Have ability to work in interdisciplinary and intercultural teams;
- Willingness to travel frequently and on short notice into mission and conflict areas also essential;
- To maintain the highest standards of personal integrity, impartiality and self-discipline. To exercise greatest discretion with regard to all facts and information coming to his/her knowledge in the course of or in connection with the performance of his/her duties;
Candidates for this contract agent IV post should:
(i) have passed a valid EPSO CAST in FG IV ; or
(ii) be registered in the EPSO Permanent CAST in FG IV https://epso.europa.eu/apply/job-offers_en?keyword=&contract=37&grade=All&institution=101&location=All
- have completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma;
- have the capacity to work in languages of CFSP and external relations necessary for the performance of their duties. Knowledge of other EU languages would be an asset.
- Be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen
- have ability to maintain diplomatic relations and to ensure representation and communication in a complex, multicultural environment;
- have capacity to create constructive working relations in the field of external relations with national authorities, international organisations and EU Member States;
- have strong drafting and analytical skills combined with sound judgement;
- have knowledge of external relations, internal policies and functioning of the Union;
- have excellent communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain a network of contacts both within and outside the EEAS;
- have the ability to communicate clearly on complex issues and the capacity to perform with accuracy and in a flexible manner a diversity of tasks in a complex institutional environment;
- have strong service attitude and be a flexible team player;
- be fluent in English and in French (both orally and in writing);
- have experience and knowledge of CFSP and CSDP-related issues; experience in civilian CSDP Missions would be an asset;
- experience of working in a team in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment;
- experience in working with or within other EU institutions would be considered as strong assets.
SPECIFIC CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
The successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting if (s)he does not already hold security clearance to an appropriate level (EU SECRET), in accordance with the relevant security provisions.
PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT
Contract agent position (Function group IV); renewable contract for a maximum duration of 6 years (with a valid CAST exam).
Post available: 01.06.2018
Deadline for sending application. Please send your CV and cover letter to: email@example.com) by 01.06.2018.