Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,
Dear representatives of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, National Society of Red Cross and Red Crescent, guests, representatives of NGOs, partner organisations and beneficiaries of the project, journalists.
I am pleased to have a chance to open the closure conference of the EU funded project “Strengthening capacities of the Red Crescent Society of Kazakhstan and Civil Society Organisation to contribute to local development in Kyzylorda oblast” that was implemented by the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies in co-operation with the National and Kyzyl-Orda Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies. The project was 38 months in duration with EU contribution equal to 349 059EURO.
Let me please use this chance to express my sincere appreciation to Kyzyl Orda branch of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Society for hosting the event, to Akimat of Kyzyl Orda oblast for the permanent support of the project activities and to the Medical College for providing the venue for the event.
My special greetings to Madame Zhaukebayeva Bibijan, Member of the Presidium of the Kyzylorda Red Crescent branch, Honourable citizen of Kyzylorda region.
At me best knowledge the project started on 1st of May 2014 and will come to the end at the end of June. The overall objective of the project was to raise effectiveness of the relationships between the civil society institutions and the state and to expand the participation of the civil society institutions in the realization of development strategies with two specific objectives as: to strengthen the capacities of the Regional Red Cross Society to contribute to local development decision making and service delivery in Kyzylorda region and to promote the role of civil society actors and citizens, and their participation in formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development policies.
I was happy to learn today that the project performed a lot of activities that could be expressed in the following figures:
• The mapping of active CSOs in Kyzylorda region was completed and followed by a series of trainings on fundraising, communications and advocacy, project planning, monitoring and reporting, human resource management, public relations, disaster risk reduction and social mobilization;
• 6,000 people – including people with disabilities, students, members of multi-children families – received training on first aid, diseases prevention and disaster risks.
• An information package with 8 types of materials on Disaster Risk Reduction and health issues was developed and 12,000 pieces of materials have been distributed among beneficiaries.
• 180 volunteers from youth and wider population have been trained to support the Red Cross Society work with communities in Kyzyl-Orda oblast.
• 14 round-table meetings was organise with participation of local authorities, representatives of the business sector, civil society and citizens of Kyzyl-Orda oblast.
• The project team organized 6 campaigns on Disaster Risk Reduction and TB (tuberculosis) prevention that covered in total an estimated 12,000 people.
- DIPECHO cooperation with the Department of Civil Emergencies.
- The Kyzylorda branch and local CSOs organized 5 resource mobilization campaigns to support the most vulnerable people. As a result, more than 650 people received support from the funds raised during these campaigns.
Thank you for your attention.