Rules and Regulations for the 7th Photography Competition of the European Union in Bangladesh
The deadline for reception at the EU Delegation to Bangladesh is Tuesday, 28 February 2017. No entry arriving after the deadline will be accepted.
The Delegation of the European Union to Bangladesh
launches its 7th Photography Competition under the theme of
The European Union Delegation to Bangladesh is organising its 7th Photography Competition in order to promote and stimulate interest and creativity in photography among amateur photographers in Bangladesh, and to provide an opportunity for disseminating and exhibiting their work.
The theme explores the innovation of Bangladeshi women, whose creativity and endurance in the face of economic uncertainty inspires globally and notably among Bangladeshi youth. Such ingenuity deserves to be explored, recorded and celebrated. Contestants are encouraged to capture the creative means by which many Bangladeshis women find and create employment. There are ample opportunities to capture this innovation and ambition, whether it is a girl selling flowers, a street vendor or a college graduate inventing a new gadget.
While submissions can emphasize the resilience of Bangladeshi women, they should not be limited in their portrayal of job creativity in the country. Entries can use subject matter that reflects Bangladeshis women's engagement in the areas of education, governance, food and nutrition and sustainable development and how women have challenged unemployment, creating unique job opportunities and how these creative and/or unusual enterprises contribute to the Bangladeshi economy and society. The theme showcases Bangladesh's economic strengths: its people and their ideas. It is also an engaging one, highlighting the vibrancy of Bangladeshi society. The theme reflects the long history of entrepreneurship and innovation in the country.
- Images will be judged on originality, technical excellence, composition, overall impact and artistic merit as well as the personal vision on the theme of "Women empowerment" that the photographer conveys.
- Each contestant can participate by sending two images although only one image per photographer will be selected. The jury will consider and value the quality and consistency of the work presented.
- Previously published material or images previously awarded in other competitions will not be accepted.
- This 7th Photography Competition is open to all amateur photographers living in Bangladesh age between 16 – 30 years who do not receive a major part of their income from photography.
- The EU Delegation strongly supports participation by female photographers
- Employees of the Delegation of the European Union to Bangladesh and members of the jury are not allowed to participate in the Competition.
Each submission must contain two photographs which respond to the theme of the Competition. The documentation to be submitted by each applicant is the following:
- A printed copy (24x36cm) of each of the two (2) colour or black and white photographs. On the back of the photographs, please number each one (1 or 2) but do not write anything else on them.
- A digital file corresponding to each photo must be submitted. The files must be sent in a CD or DVD, properly wrapped and protected, in a separate envelope. Entries submitted by any other means (e.g. by fax or by e-mail) or delivered to other addresses will be rejected.
The digital files of the photographs should be presented in the highest possible quality in jpeg or TIFF format.
Images may be digitally enhanced to remove spots or scratches, but not manipulated. Entrants can enhance the picture to make it brighter or clearer, but not digitally manipulate the content.
Each digital photo file will contain the photographer's name, and the photo entry number (1 to 2). For example: Nadia Hossain - 1.jpeg
- On a separate, single sheet of paper please include:
- A one-page CV in English with the participant's full name, nationality, residential address, mobile, telephone number, occupation and email address.
- A brief description in English of each of the two photographs submitted including: title, caption, camera and lens used and a brief description of where, when and how the photograph was taken.
Any application that does not respect these criteria will not be eligible.
- Photographic entries to this Competition can be delivered by hand or posted by mail.
In both cases, the deadline for reception at the EU Delegation in Bangladesh is Tuesday 28th February, 2017, 16:00 Dhaka Local Time. No entry arriving after the deadline will be accepted.
- Selected photographs and winners will be notified by e-mail.
- The packages containing the hard copies of the photos, the CD or DVD with the digital files, and sheet of paper with CV and photo descriptions must be delivered in hand or sent by mail to the following address:
Ms. Anjum Aziz
Senior Programme Officer
Media and Communication
The European Union Delegation to Bangladesh
Plot 7, Road 84, Gulshan 2, Dhaka 1212
Telephone number: +880-2 5566 8057 Ext. 116
The envelopes should be marked on the outside with the words: "The 7th EU Photo Competition in Bangladesh"
- No photographic entries will be returned to participants.
- For any queries regarding this competition, you can send an email to Ms. Anjum Aziz, Anjum.Aziz@eeas.europa.eu
- Plaques and certificates will be awarded for the three best images that help in photography and photo journalism.
- The 30 selected photos will also be exhibited in Dhaka during the award ceremony. Date and venue will be notified in due course
- Each of the 30 winning entrants will receive a diploma on that occasion.
- Out of the thirty selected photos, twelve (12) images will be chosen to be included in the 2018 calendar of the Delegation of the European Union to Bangladesh
By participating in this photo competition, you agree to the entry rules, and the following legal conditions:
- Your entry to the contest constitutes your agreement to allow the photographs (and your name, occupation and country of residence) to be published as selected award winners in European Union publications and used for promotion of the EU Photography Competition including, but not limited to, exhibitions, an EU photo calendar, a brochure or electronic collection of photographs, online photo features, and web pages providing EU-related information.
- Participants retain ownership and all other rights to future use of their photographs. The European Union will credit and acknowledge the copyright of the author of the photograph in all its publications.
- By entering, participants warrant that his or her entry materials are original, and do not infringe on any third party's rights.
- By entering, participants release the EU and the members of the jury from any liability for any incorrect information, loss, claim or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with the photo competition or any prize won. The EU shall have the right to verify, in its sole judgement, winner eligibility.
- Decisions of the EU Delegation shall be final and binding.