For administrative reasons, the deadline for receipt of applications for the below vacancy has been extended to Friday, 16 July 2021
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The role of the Delegation of the European Union to the Republic of Korea includes:
• To represent the Union, as appropriate, in the Republic of Korea;
• To inform the European Union on political, social, economic, external relations and trade developments in the Republic of Korea and, in this regard, to maintain contact with the principal players in the fields of politics and public life generally, the economy, business, civil society and higher education;
• To ensure a smooth and fruitful development of bilateral relations in the political, economic, commercial, ICT and co-operation fields and to seek to develop and encourage initiatives to promote cooperation under the Framework Agreement;
• To monitor and ensure implementation of the EU-Republic of Korea Free Trade Agreement;
• To promote and protect the EU’s interests and values and to spread knowledge and raise awareness of developments in the EU, its policies, purposes and aims with a view to engendering a better understanding of EU affairs and establishing a higher profile for the EU;
• To promote the EU’s policies in all areas;
• To foster close co-operation on EU matters with Member States’ missions via regular meetings at Ambassador, Counsellor, Information and Administration Officer levels;
• To carry out press and information activities in pursuit of the above objectives.
We offer a post of Administrative Assistant in the Administration Section. Under this job function, the successful candidate will assist the Head of Section in: financial management (compliance with administrative, legal and financial regulations); handling administrative tasks (logistical, secretarial and administrative support); human resources management (expatriate and local staff); logistics (staff accommodations and office management, events organisation, VIP missions); procurement and contracting; and in the management of protocol/consular affairs (including visas, diplomatic documents, rights and obligations, registrations) and liaising with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and other local authorities. This job function maybe changed in accordance with the needs of the Delegation.
Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function as Administrative Assistant.
We offer a competitive position in an international environment. Benefits, such as additional pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions. Place of employment is Seoul, in the premises of the Delegation of the EU to the Republic of Korea. Employment is on a full-time basis, with 37.5 weekly working hours in a dynamic and multi-cultural environment. The Group in the salary scale for the position of Administrative Assistant is Group 2 with a starting monthly basic salary of KRW 5 191 811. Final salary step will depend on the number of years of relevant professional experience.
Responsibilities and duties
The Administrative Assistant will work under the direct supervision of the Head of Administration Section.
The duties of the candidate will include, but will not be limited to the following:
• Building logistics/management (Delegation, Residence and staff accommodations) including asset management;
• Human Resources (recruitments / rights and obligations, etc.) – both locally employed staff and expatriate staff;
• Procurement and contracting of administrative needs as well as assistance with the Press and Information tender files;
• Management of protocol/consular affairs (including visas, diplomatic documents, etc.) and liaising with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and other local authorities;
• Contributing to the preparation of various reports, e.g. Post Report, Welcome Package, etc.
• Financial initiation and/or verification of payments, budgetary and legal commitments and subsequent disbursements of administrative expenditure of the Delegation;
• Prepare and update the administrative financial workflow, including notes and financial internal instructions;
• Follow-up on the execution of payments such as rents, services and supplies, reimbursements to staff, etc.;
• Follow up on the VAT refund procedures;
• Preparing the monthly bank reconciliation for KRW and EUR bank accounts;
• Follow up with Headquarters on the status of 'HB' suspended accounts and related reconciliation and matching;
• Prepare the monthly closure of accounts and process replenishment requests;
• Prepare the interim and yearly financial reports;
• Deputize for the Head of Administration in the role of Acting Imprest Account Holder.
• Assist in the preparation of the yearly administrative budget plan, in consultation with the Heads of Section dealing with different portfolios;
• Assisting with the procurement planning;
• Monitoring of budgetary consumption throughout the year, revision and introduction of budgetary amendments as required.
• Follow up on the recurrent ex-post control requests and other audits.
• Required to backup other team members during absences. This might require knowledge of additional administrative tools.
1. Medically fit to perform the required duties;
2. Enjoys civil rights and permits for employment under local law;
3. Diploma in Business Administration, Economics, Public Administration, Accounting / Financial Management, Human Resources, Law or in a similar field;
4. Minimum 5 years of proven working experience in administration, accounting, procurement and/or contract management;
5. Language competence in:
English: C1 - Reading / Listening / Spoken interaction / Spoken production / Writing;
Korean: Mother tongue;
6. Proficient in ICT – MS Office i.e. Outlook, Word and Excel in particular;
The following will be considered as an asset:
• University degree in Business Administration, Economics, Public Administration, Accounting / Financial Management, Human Resources, Law or in a similar field;
• Experience in an international working environment;
• Experience / knowledge of EU procedures, infrastructure management, protocol and consular issues, human resources or accounting;
• Relevant working experience with international organisations or diplomatic missions;
• Language competence in French: B1 – Reading / Listening / Spoken interaction / Spoken production / Writing.
• Personal initiative, flexibility, well organized and able to perform duties independently with speed and accuracy without needing constant supervision;
• Team player and able to adapt in a multi-cultural environment;
• High degree of integrity and able to deal with confidential information.
How to apply
Please send your application and supporting documents to Delegation-Rep-of-Korea-Vacancies@eeas.europa.eu . The package should include a cover letter and a detailed CV (using the Europass template on the following link: https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/). Under subject, please indicate “Administrative Assistant Vacancy”.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone: please address any queries concerning this procedure to Delegation-Rep-of-Korea-Vacancies@eeas.europa.eu .
The deadline for applications is: Friday, 16 July 2021.
After the deadline for applications, the applications will be reviewed by a Selection Committee set up for this purpose. The Selection Committee will prepare a short-list of candidates who are considered to be the most suitable for the post based on a preliminary assessment of the information provided in their application letter and the supporting documents. The short-listed candidates will be invited toan assessment phase, which may include an interview if necessary – during this phase, the Selection Committee will assess the suitability of the candidates for the post.
The candidates who have not been short-listed will not be contacted individually; however, the Delegation will use the same means of publication as for this Vacancy Notice to inform the remaining candidates once the recruitment procedure has been completed and that a candidate has (or has not) been recruited.