The United Nations (UN) celebrates its 75th Anniversary this year and to mark this occasion, the UN has launched the biggest global conversation on how we can shape our future together.
The United Nations in Lesotho and the European Union in Lesotho (EU) are launching an online essay writing competition so that Basotho can be a part of the conversation. We want to find out from you - What kind of world do you want to create by 2045 and how can we collectively get there? What would your ideal world look like?
The competition is open to all Lesotho citizens between 18 and 35 years of age. Essays must be between 1500 - 2500 words. They can be written in English or Sesotho.
The top three essays will be published on the United Nations and European Union in Lesotho websites.
The top ten entries will be invited for lunch with the UN Resident Coordinator and EU Ambassador
And the top essay writer will win a laptop.
Email your essay to email@example.com between 30 June 2020 and 31 August 2020.
If you need a little bit of help with your essay, you can have a look at our guiding essay questions below:
• What would your ideal world look like in 25 years - the UN’s 100th anniversary?
• What will be different from the world you see today?
Describe a day in that world you envision 25 years from
• What kind of future do we want to have created for our children and grandchildren?
• Do you think your children or grandchildren will have fewer or more opportunities than you?
• What lessons can we learn from today, for example with regards to the current COVID-19 pandemic?
• What can you do as an individual to create the world that you want?