The Government of Mongolia extended the partial undertaking of high-alert preparedness until 30 April, 2020 and issued precautionary measures:
Any other remaining EU citizens wishing to leave Mongolia will be able to do so at their own expense with charter flights operated by MIAT Mongolian Airlines to:
• Tokyo: 30 March and 3 April at 01.30 am (Narita International Airport);
• Seoul: 31 March and 2 April at 08.30 am (Incheon International Airport);
• Possible flights to European destinations to be confirmed.
For information on the possibilities of onward travel to the European Union, EU citizens are advised to contact their national authorities, the authorities of transit countries and to review visa requirements for entry and transit.
For reservation, prices and other information regarding the flight, EU citizens can directly contact MIAT Mongolian Airlines (Central Tower, tel.: (11)313385 99001881 or Encanto Tower, tel.: (11)322118); or AirTrans ticketing agency (City Plaza, tel.: (11)303030).
Mongolian authorities suspended the entry of all passengers through all border checkpoints until 30 April, 2020.
Subject to further implementation modalities, this restriction does not apply to:
- Accredited staff and their direct family members of diplomatic missions and offices of international organisations in Mongolia (to be quarantined for 14 days upon arrival);
- Foreign nationals who are direct family members of Mongolian nationals (to be quarantined for 14 days upon arrival);
- International freight transport drivers and railway personnel of Mongolia, Russia and China.
This restriction entails:
- Suspension of all regular passenger flights;
- Suspension of international passenger train travel;
- Closure of all land borders of Mongolia with China and Russia.
- Visitors to public places are required to wear a surgical facemask and can be subject to temperature screenings;
- Prohibition of public gatherings, events and meetings, such as conferences, sporting events and concerts;
- Closure of schools, universities, higher education institutions, kindergardens and vocational training centres, cinemas and entertainment centres until 30 April.
- Foreigners with symptoms and those who have been to countries with confirmed cases might be subject to quarantine at a government facility on their own expense.
The information is current as of 27 March 2020.
Authorities might issue further travel restrictions, recommendations and updates.
If stranded in Mongolia, EU citizens are advised to keep regular contact with their representing Embassy, consult the travel advisory issued by EU Member States and local resources.
EU Member States Travel Advise