Type of post
Local agent in the Political, Press & Information Section – Function Group 1
7,5h per day; 5 days per week from Sunday to Thursday
To contribute, under the supervision of the Head of the Section to the fulfilment of the mandate of the Head of Delegation as regards the Delegation's Information and Communications policy especially in analysing trends and developments in the information environment in the United Arab Emirates, Saudi-Arabia and Oman. The jobholder will be based at the EU Delegation Abu Dhabi in the Press and Information Section.
- Assist the Delegation in devising and executing information, communication and media activities to improve the visibility of and knowledge about the EU in the UAE.
- Contribute to the drafting and implementation of the Delegation's social media strategy.
- Analyse the trends and developments in the information environment in the United Arab Emirates, Saudi-Arabia and Oman and provide recommendations for improving the understanding of the EU's values, policies and projects based on fact-based information and proactive communication;
- Establish and maintain a network of key information environment experts in the countries concerned, who could support the EU Delegations in monitoring and awareness raising activities;
- Design, implement and coordinate campaigns, local outreach events and communications projects on specific issues and priorities, including media information relations towards the EU and its partnership with the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia or Oman;
- Perform other tasks as designated by the Head(s) of Section and/or Head(s) of Delegation and co-operate closely with the other Press and Information Officer and ensure replacement in his/her absence.
Qualifications and skills required
- have completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma, preferably in political science, international relations, journalism, communications, economics or other related field;
- have at least three years of relevant professional experience in communications, preferably in the international and multi-cultural environment;
- have a native command of Arabic;
- have a professional knowledge of the English language and possibly other European languages;
- be a national of the United Arab Emirates or a national of a Member State of the European Union or a national of a third country having the right to live and work in the United Arab Emirates;
- be medically fit to perform the required duties and enjoy civil rights and hold the necessary permits for employment under local law.
- proven experience in communications and public diplomacy (e.g. strategic communication, media relations, campaigning, content production, marketing, online marketing, social media management, audio-visual content development, strategic communications in countering violent extremism);
- strong drafting and analytical skills combined with sound judgement, rapid grasp of problems and the capacity to identify issues and solutions;
- knowledge of external relations, internal policies and functioning of the European Union;
- capacity to create constructive working relations with key partners and the ability to establish and maintain a network of contacts both within and outside the Delegation;
- excellent communication skills, and in particular the ability to communicate clearly on complex issues and the capacity to perform with accuracy and in a flexible manner a diversity of tasks in a complex institutional environment;
- good knowledge of social media platforms, especially Twitter, Instagram and Facebook and other locally trending social media platforms.
- strong sense of initiative and the capacity to work independently.
- flexible and constructive team player and experience of working in a team in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment, possibly in an international organisation;
- experience of working with social media analytics, in particular in the Gulf;
- Applications to be sent to DELEGATION-UNITED-ARAB-EMIRATES-RECRUITMENT@eeas.europa.eu
Applications should contain a cover/motivation letter and a detailed CV in English (preferably Europass format).
A short-list of candidates who are considered to be the most suitable for the post will be called for an interview and a written test.
- The deadline is 25 September 2020 at 17H00 Abu Dhabi local time