Communiqué issued at a joint meeting of the Heads of International Election Observation Missions for the general elections in Kenya on 8 August
An official website of the European Union. See all European Institutions
We the Heads of the following international observer missions present in Kenya: African Union (AU), Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA), the Commonwealth, East African Community (EAC), European Union (EU), International Conference of the Great Lakes Region (ICGLR), Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD), National Democratic Institute (NDI) and The Carter Center (TCC), recognise that the 2017 general elections are a critical opportunity for Kenyans to show their commitment to the democratic development of the country.
Based on our consultations with Kenyan stakeholders over the past weeks, we note efforts made towards the conduct of peaceful, transparent and credible elections so that Kenyans can express their will freely.
We call on the political leaders and their supporters to ensure peaceful elections and respect for the rule of law as they go to the polls tomorrow and through the results process. We further call on them to uphold their commitments under the Electoral Code of Conduct which requires acceptance of the electoral outcome and seeking redress through the established legal channels.
We look to the government of Kenya to uphold its constitutional obligations to provide a secure environment in which Kenyans can vote freely, and to the judiciary to adjudicate appeals in a fair and timely manner.
Across our missions, we have over 400 observers deployed across the country who will follow all aspects of election day and some will remain to observe the tallying process and post-election period.
We wish the people of Kenya well as they proceed to the polls.
1. African Union Election Observation Mission - His Excellency, Thabo Mbeki, Former South African President
2. COMESA Election Observation Mission – Ambassor Dr. Simbi Mubako, former Zimbabwe Minister of Justice
3. Commonwealth Observation Group – His Excellency, John D. Mahama, Former Ghanaian President
4. EAC Election Observation Mission – Prof. Edward B. Rugumayo, Former Cabinet Minister in Uganda
5. EU Election Observation Mission – Marietje Schaake, Dutch Member of the European Parliament
6. ICGLR Election Observation Mission – Hon. Makumbi Kamya, Member of Parliament, Republic of Uganda
7. IGAD Election Observation Mission - Amb. Tewolde Gebremeskel, Director of Peace and Security Division- IGAD
8. NDI Election Observation Mission – Dr. Aisha Abdullahi, former AU Commissioner for Political Affairs; Hon. Karen Bass, US Congresswoman; Professor Attahiru Jega, former Chair of Nigeria’s Independent National Electoral Commission; Justice Yvonne Mokgoro, former Justice of the Constitutional Court of South Africa; and Hon. Christie Todd Whitman, former Governor of New Jersey.
9. TCC Election Observation Mission – John Kerry, Former United States Secretary of State and Massachusetts Senator and Aminata Touré, former Senegalese Prime Minister.