An official website of the European Union. See all European Institutions
JOINT PRE-ELECTION STATEMENT OF INTERNATIONAL ELECTION OBSERVATION MISSIONS IN GHANA
Accra, Ghana, 6 December 2016
We, the heads of the international election observation missions in the Republic of Ghana listed below, cognisant of the signing of the Accra Declaration on 1 December 2016, facilitated by the National Peace Council, wish to congratulate the presidential candidates in the upcoming elections for demonstrating their commitment to democratic, credible and peaceful elections.
We wish to appeal to all Ghanaians to adhere to the pledge made by the political leaders as enshrined in the Declaration before, during and after the polls. We further urge stakeholders to conduct themselves in such a manner that reflects the aspirations of the Declaration, which is a commitment to peaceful elections and judicial resolution of election disputes.
We recognize Ghana’s strong and resilient institutions that have in the past been able to handle challenges in a peaceful and constructive manner. We hope that this tradition will continue furthering the consolidation of Ghana’s democratic credentials. Should any of the stakeholders feel dissatisfied with the election process, we urge that they channel their concerns through the established legal and institutional mechanisms.
We reiterate our commitment to supporting the democratic process in the Republic of Ghana.
1. H. E. Hifikepunye Pohamba, former President of the Republic of Namibia, Head of the African Union Election Observation Mission.
2. H.E. Professor Amos Sawyer, former President of the Interim Government of the Republic of Liberia, Head of ECOWAS Election Observation Mission.
3. H.E. Thabo Mbeki, former President of the Republic of South Africa, Head of the Commonwealth Observer Group.
4. Mr Tamas Meszerics, Member of the European Parliament, Chief Observer of the European Union Election Observation Mission.
5. Amb. Johnnie Carson, Former Assistant Secretary for African Affairs, US State Department, Head of National Democratic Institute Election Observation Mission.