The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. The EU Delegation to the United Arab Emirates is a fully-fledged diplomatic mission and plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations.
We offer a post of Press and Information Officer. Under this post, the recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation. Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function as Press and Information Officer – this job function may be changed in accordance with the needs of the Delegation. Under this job function, the successful candidate will contribute to the fulfilment of the Delegation’s mandate to promote the visibility of the European Union and its policies in line with its Press & Information and Media strategy with the following tasks under the supervision and responsibility of the relevant head of section:
- assist the Delegation in devising and executing information, communication, public diplomacy and media activities to improve the visibility of and knowledge about the EU in the UAE;
- contribute to the drafting and implementation of the Delegation's information and communication strategy and its reporting obligations;
- establish and maintain a close working relationship with local and international media, including digital and social media and multipliers, in order to promote EU policies, activities and events and coordinate with press officers from other embassies;
- daily review of local press and media, analyse the trends and developments in the information environment in the United Arab Emirates in order to prepare daily press briefings and monitor press and media actions;
- respond to requests from the public and media, responding to press enquiries, preparing press related dossiers and writing speeches related to EU’s visibility and promoting the image of the EU;
- prepare and finalise press releases, draft and place press articles, prepare and post tweets including pictures videos or other multimedia content. in English/Arabic for the Head of Delegation and the EU Delegation and responsibility for website management and other information or promotion material;
- prepare briefings, information notes, translations and correspondence for the Head of Section / Delegation on issues related to press, information, public diplomacy and media;
- feed and develop the Head of Delegation / EU Delegation social media channels with regular content in English and Arabic, follow reactions and propose responses to comments and interactions when appropriate;
- design, implement and coordinate campaigns, local outreach events and communications projects on specific issues and priorities, including preparation of press conferences, interviews and other public relations or media events for the EU Delegation or for EU high-level visitors;
- organise, coordinate, moderate or otherwise contribute to exhibitions, conferences and events organised by the Delegation;
- manage the press and information budget and projects in cooperation with the Head of Political, Press and Information section (budget forecast, reporting, call for tenders and contracts);
- act as cultural focal point and organise cultural activities in cooperation with EU Member States;
- perform other tasks as designated by the Head(s) of Section and/or Head(s) of Delegation and co-operate closely with the other Press and Information Officer/Media Information Analyst and ensure replacement in his/her absence.
We offer a competitive position in an international environment with benefits such as additional pension scheme and medical insurance offered to employees and their dependants under certain conditions. This is a full time position of 37.5 hours per week from Sunday to Thursday. Place of employment is the Delegation of the European Union to the United Arab Emirates.
- Completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma, preferably in political science, international relations, journalism, communications, economics or other related field;
- At least three years of relevant professional experience in communications, preferably in the international and multi-cultural environment;
- Medically fit to perform the required duties;
- Enjoys civil rights and permits for employment under local law;
- Has a native command of Arabic (oral/written) and excellent knowledge of English language;
- Experience of working with social media in Arabic speaking countries or with press and information work, particularly in the Gulf, will be considered strong assets;
How to apply
Please send your application and supporting documents to email@example.com clearly indication ‘Application for Press and Information Officer’.
Your application should include a motivation letter indicating your skills, knowledge, experience and qualifications for the job based on the job profile, a detailed CV and a copy of your ID (passport or Civil ID).
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone: please address any queries concerning this procedure to firstname.lastname@example.org.
After the deadline for applications, the applications will be reviewed by a Selection Committee set up for this purpose. The Selection Committee will prepare a short-list of candidates who are considered to be the most suitable for the post on the basis of a preliminary assessment of the information provided in their application letter and the supporting documents. The short-listed candidates will be invited to an assessment phase which may include an interview and a written test, if necessary – during this phase, the Selection Committee will assess the suitability of the candidates for the post.
The candidates who have not been short-listed will not be contacted individually; however, the Delegation will use the same means of publication as for this Vacancy Notice to inform the remaining candidates once the recruitment procedure has been completed and that a candidate has (or has not) been recruited.
The deadline for applications is: 9 February 2021 at 17H00 local time.