EUBAM HQ, Odesa, Ukraine
Individual Contractor (IC)
Head, Planning, Analysis and Coordination Office (PACO), Officer-in- in Charge of EUBAM
Type of Appointment:
IC Contract, 1 December 2020 - 30 November 2021
Planning, Analysis and Coordination Office
Head of Mission
Organizational Context: In June 2005, the Presidents of Moldova and Ukraine sent a joint letter to the EU requesting assistance for enhanced border management capacities, including the development of an international standard of border and customs control at the state border of the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine. The EU responded positively to this request and an EU Border Assistance Mission to Moldova and Ukraine was established, based on a tripartite Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed on 7 October 2005 by the European Commission, the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine. This announcement is subject to the signature of a contribution agreement between the European Commission and IOM.
Main objectives of the assignment/scope of work:
Head of the Planning, Analysis and Coordination Office/Officer in Charge of EUBAM (Head of PACO/OiC) works under the overall supervision and with delegated authority of the Head of Mission and manages the activities of the Planning, Analysis and Coordination Office (PACO). S/he develops and implements the strategic objectives for the Mission’s planning, analytical and reporting interventions. S/he is in charge of EUBAM´s performance management system and its consistent implementation through a comprehensive range of aiding processes and tools. S/he works closely with various Moldovan, Ukrainian and international partners.
The Head of PACO/OiC assumes overall responsibility for EUBAM in the absence of the Head of Mission.
S/he co-ordinates and guides the work of a team of international experts and national personnel.
Detailed description of activities:
- Co-ordinate the planning and implementation of EUBAM operational activities within the two partner countries. Oversee and supervise the work of the PACO.
- Oversee, co-ordinate, and manage the strategic planning processes of EUBAM by developing and formulating a Mission-wide planning framework, plans and inputs to various planning documents required for the development and formulation of EUBAM Action Plan.
- Design and develop systems and tools for result-based management and monitoring of progress towards objectives and results within the EUBAM Action Plan.
- Design and develop systems and tools for monitoring the implementation of activities within the EUBAM Plan of Action and ensure EUBAM-wide implementation by establishment of mechanisms for update and follow-up.
- Co-ordinate and prepare and formulate regular reports on progress achieved in the implementation of EUBAM Plan of Action such as Mission’s monthly and annual reports. Contribute to the drafting of the Mission’s narrative progress and final reports according to the General Conditions.
- Co-ordinate and supervise preparation and delivery of periodic and ad hoc analytical and operational products (reports, briefings, risk analyses, presentations, evaluations, write-ups).
- Contribute to the elaboration and regular updating of assessments of operational capacities of all levels of border management - at the strategic, operational, and tactical level.
- Formulate operational plans and orders, official documents and correspondence including those associated with sensitive or EU restricted data and information.
- Ensure the monitoring of the implementation of recommendations and proposals made by EUBAM through consultations with partner services, assessments, and reviews.
- Maintain contacts and co-operate with the EU institutions, FRONTEX, Europol, services of the EU Member States and relevant international organisations such as IOM, SELEC and ICMPD to ensure the coordination of activities in the relevant sectors.
- Oversee and co-ordinate all activities of Planning, Analysis and Coordination Office, cooperate and co-ordinate activities with other teams within EUBAM.
- Plan and manage the tasks and work plans and monitor results of international experts and national personnel in Planning, Analysis and Coordination Office in accordance to the EUBAM Action Plan.
- Organise and participate regular internal meetings related to the implementation of the Action Plan, such as monthly internal coordination meetings.
- Take the lead in organising and participate in external meetings to review the implementation of EUBAM's Action Plan, including meetings of the Advisory Board.
- Oversee the day-to-day resource management.
- Act as officer-in-charge in the absence of the Head of Mission and within the framework of EUBAM mandate and the Description of Action.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
- Coordination of planning and implementation of EUBAM operational activities within the two partner countries.
- Responsibility for the day-to-day support to EUBAM HoM on all aspects related to EUBAM activities at HQ and all field locations (as per EUBAM Action Plan).
- Timely submission of high-quality, analytical periodic and ad hoc reports for use by EUBAM and partners.
- Development of planning, coordination, and reporting processes of EUBAM with the objective of effective and efficient support to the Mission's operations (as per EUBAM Action Plan).
- Day-to-day management of PACO personnel (as per EUBAM Action Plan).
Monitoring and reporting requirements:
The Head of PACO/OiC reports to the Head of EUBAM who is responsible for appraisal of performance and quality of work deliverables. The reporting takes place through written and verbal briefs.
- Master’s degree (or equivalent), preferably in law, economics, social sciences or a related field or Diploma from Police/Customs/Border Guard or Border Police Academy of the same level.
- Experience as national or international law enforcement official or civil servant of an EU Member State or EU institution.
- At least 15 years of relevant professional experience, of which (i) 10 years operational experience in law enforcement/border or customs services and (ii) 5 years at management level.
- In-depth knowledge of the integrated border management concept.
- Experience in implementing the concept of integrated border management at all levels of the organisation.
- Experience with customs/border management projects in transition/developing countries is an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to decisively build and manage teams in a multinational environment and manage complex partner/stakeholder relationships.
- Very good interpersonal, communications and drafting skills.
- Excellent knowledge of EU policy in the Eastern Neighbourhood, especially related to the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine and EU-UA and EU-MD relations in the sphere of customs and border management is an asset.
- Excellent knowledge of Moldovan and Ukrainian state institutions is an asset.
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Knowledge of other EU languages (Romanian, in particular) and Russian and/or Ukrainian is an asset.
- Computer literacy (Windows applications).
- National certificate of no criminal record
Note: Email your CV and cover letter in English to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of your message.
Closing date for applications is October 10, 2020; however, interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply sooner.
The candidates who applied for this position earlier in August-September 2020 will be considered automatically, there is no need to re-apply.
Only pre-selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Appointment is subject to funding confirmation.