The overall objective of this action is to support the countries of the Silk Routes region in building more effective and efficient border management systems, using the Integrated Border Management (IBM) concept and its developments as a blueprint, reflecting its principles and main components and translating them to the specific situations and realities of partner Silk Routes countries.
The specific objectives are as follows:
- Silk Routes countries have capacities, instruments and infrastructure to develop and implement IBM.
- Silk Routes countries have improved their regional and bilateral coordination and cooperation in the area of border management.
- The main target groups are the national and local government authorities of the Silk Routes Countries with responsibilities in the area of border management, as well as non-governmental actors active in the field of border management and the local border communities.
- Senior staff within the main national agencies with border management responsibilities (border police or equivalent, customs, armed forces, immigration agencies, etc.), and, in particular, persons responsible for operations and international relations.
- Specialists for certain topics (e.g. responsible for risk analysis, second line experts, information networks, legislation, etc.).
- Trainers of the national training institutions/entities.
- Other relevant stakeholders.
The project aims to achieve the following results, contributing to the two major outcomes:
Outcome 1: Assistance in developing capacities, instruments and infrastructure.
- National IBM strategies and action plans developed to strengthen intra-/inter-agency and international cooperation.
- Enhanced operational capacities of border management agencies.
- Increased capacities of training entities of the beneficiary agencies.
- Improved infrastructure to facilitate better border management.
Outcome 2: Regional and bilateral coordination and cooperation.
- Improved legal framework for international cooperation.
- Enhanced mechanisms for information and knowledge exchange.