An official website of the European Union. See all European Institutions
Functions and duties
+ POLICY ANALYSIS - Sector analysis, strategy formulation and programming
• Collect and process macro-economic data and ensure regular and ad hoc reporting.
• Analyse policies and strategies in the specific domain.
• Support policy dialogue with relevant ministries, agencies, donors, lenders and other
• Contribute to formulation of policies, strategies, programmes and projects.
+ PROGRAM / PROCESS / PROJECT MANAGEMENT - Management and monitoring of
programme / projects
• Analyse, negotiate and process proposals for programmes and projects submitted by
Zimbabwean or national or regional entities.
• Prepare the decision of the Commission approving submitted proposals.
• Manage, monitor and evaluate the implementation of programmes and projects in line with
the conditions set out in the Commission’s decision and the objectives set in the
programme/ project. Analyse periodic and final implementation reports.
• Organise and ensure support to external experts concerned by the assigned work. Provide
assistance to the relevant regional, national or local authorities in implementing the
programmes and projects.
• Prepare and negotiate relevant updates / amendments of programmes and projects during
the implementation period.
• Encode entries accurately and comprehensively in CRIS and conduct the quality checks
(e.g. accuracy and comprehensiveness) of data entered in CRIS.
+ PROCUREMENT and CONTRACT MANAGEMENT - Preparation and management of calls for
tender & Financial management of programmes and projects
• Assist in preparing Terms of Reference, contract conditions and specifications. Assist in
launching, managing and monitoring tender procedures.
• Assist in evaluating tenders and in selecting contractors. Assist in negotiating technical and
financial aspects of contracts.
• Monitor contractual obligations (via periodic reviews, audits, reports, etc) and gather and
handle external expertise if and when required.
• Monitor the financial expenditure of projects as reported in cost statements and provide
reasonable assurance that claimed costs correspond to the work accomplished. Ensure
payments due are processed in time including verifying requests for payments and follow up
the execution process.
• Review and monitor financial aspects of contracts.
• Monitor and review programmes’ and projects’ budgets and financial time limits. Give the
operational visa “certified correct” on payment certificates.
+ REPRESENTATION, NEGOTIATION and PARTICIPATION - Representation, negotiation and
• Co-ordinate, share information and participate in working groups and task forces related to
the assigned portfolio.
• Represent the Delegation/Commission in management, steering, monitoring or similar
• Contribute to the coordination of programmes and projects with regional or national
authorities and development partners.
• Promote the concepts of aid effectiveness through coordination, harmonization, alignment
and sector wide approaches.
+ EXTERNAL COMMUNICATION (general) - Project dissemination activities
• Disseminate the Commission’s views, policies, strategies, objectives, agenda, etc. related to
development co-operation and other subject matters.
• Present and disseminate the achievements and results of programmes and projects in
workshops, seminars, conferences and other fora.
• Extract and disseminate best practices and facilitate exchange of experiences.
• Contribute to production of publications.
• Contribute to the proper visibility of the Delegation’s project activities.
• Contribute to the organisation and smooth passing of missions and/or visits by Commission
services or other entities related to assigned portfolio.
+ INTERNAL COMMUNICATION (general) - Sectoral reporting
• Report to the relevant Commission services on sector developments as well as on
programmes’ and projects’ progress and evolution.
• Contribute to recurrent reports and plans, e.g. Joint Annual Reports, External Assistance
Management Reports, Annual Work Plan.
• Support other teams of the Delegation with advice on technical subjects related to the core
responsibilities of the team.
+ HORIZONTAL COORDINATION - Inter-service Co-ordination
• Co-ordinate with other operational teams within the Teams of the Delegation for
programming, projects’ identification, formulation, missions, annual reviews and ad hoc or
• Co-ordinate with operational units at Commission Headquarters in shared areas of activity or
responsibility (e.g. projects implemented in the host country but managed centrally at HQ
• Support the Head of Delegation, the Head of Cooperation and the Team Leader in ensuring
sound contractual and financial management respecting relevant standards, instructions,
rules and regulations.
+ EU and POLITICS (general), OPERATIONAL and ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT and
Job-Related experience: at least 5 years
Professional experience pertinent to the duties to be carried out (e.g. macro-economic analysis/
reporting, private sector development and investment promotion) at least 3 years, relevant field
experience would be an advantage. Experience with blending and guaranty instruments such as
those promoted through the EIP would be a further asset.
• PROGRAM / PROCESS / PROJECT MANAGEMENT
◦ Projects and programmes
• INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS (generic)
◦ INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION and DEVELOPMENT
◦ Ability to communicate in meetings
◦ Ability to understand and be understood
◦ Feel at ease in public
• Prioritising and Organising
◦ Capacity to deliver in a structured way
◦ Planning capacity
• Working with Others
◦ Ability to work in a team