The European Union Delegation to VIETNAM is looking for: PROJECT OFFICER
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 28 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to Vietnam, like the other 130 delegations and representations of the External Action Service in the world, serves the EU by:
- publicising, explaining and implementing EU policy;
- analysing the policies of Vietnam, the country to which it is accredited;
- conducting negotiations according to the mandates given to it;
- exercising powers conferred on the European Community in third countries, by promoting Europe's interests as embodied in the Community policies (such as trade, agriculture and fisheries);
- playing a key role in development assistance, a role which has expanded greatly in recent years as a consequence of the devolution policy which is a core part of the Commission's external assistance reform package. The Delegation now is not only closely involved in programming assistance, but also manages projects directly in the field.
Beyond these tasks, the Delegation represents the European Union in its relations with Vietnam, and plays an essential part in EU political, economic and commercial relations with the host country, as well as providing information on the policies and institutions of the EU. The Delegation also provides support and assistance to other institutions and actors of the EU, including the European Parliament.
We offer a post of Project Officer . Under this post, the recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation. Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function as Project Officer – this job function may be changed in accordance with the needs of the Delegation. Under this job function the successful candidate will serve as technical and support staff of the Cooperation Section under the supervision and responsibility of the relevant head of section. He/she will assist in all aspects of project preparation, implementation and monitoring of cooperation activities and projects supported by the European Union in Vietnam, particularly in the field of Economic Co-operation and Governance and is responsible for these following tasks:
- contribute to preparing and implementing the Delegation’s Annual Management Plan (AMP).
- programme and project preparation, including the identification of concepts, drafting TORs for identification/preparation missions, follow-up and monitoring of these missions, preparation of programme and project documents (e.g. “action fiches”) and negotiations with project partners and beneficiaries;
- managing for results through follow-up, monitoring and evaluation of programme and project implementation, including the review and approval of workplans and related documents, field missions, conflict resolution as needed, monitoring project compliance with the Practical Guide to EU External Aid Contract Procedures, monitoring the performance of the project managers and partners, assessing contractual obligations and targets and activities against agreed project workplans, drafting terms of reference for Mid-term Reviews and Evaluations etc.
- reporting to EU Headquarters on programme and project implementation;
- foster aid effectiveness for EU funded programmes and projects through donor harmonization and alignment;
- ensure EU visibility through public relations activities, including the production of information materials, updating the information on the Delegation website, receive visitors, provide information to the public as requested, newspaper articles and press releases etc.
- prepare and conduct joint policy dialogue with relevant ministries and services.
- to coordinate and interact with the Political and Trade sections
- to co-ordinate closely with the Finance, Contracts and audit Section of the Delegation throughout the programme/project cycle;
- co-ordinate activities with EU partners and other external organizations notably in relation to the Aid Effectiveness agenda in Vietnam.
- The job-holder can be asked to support other priorities of the Delegation as defined by the Head of Delegation for up to 20% of his/her total working time.
- He/she acts as an operational initiator within the financial circuits applicable in the Delegation.
We offer a competitive position in an international environment. Benefits, such as additional pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions.
- Medically fit to perform the required duties;
- Enjoys civil rights and permits for employment under local law;
- Proficiency in English and Vietnamese, written and spoken;
- A relevant university degree
- At least five year working experience after university studies in an area related to economic co-operation
- Experience with project management, including project cycle management, logical framework analysis, economic and financial analysis, policy dialogue
- In-depth knowledge and proven experience in public finance management
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
The following will be considered an asset:
- Knowledge of EU policies, programmes and procedures would be an assets
- Basic knowledge of French
How to apply
Please send your application and supporting documents to DELEGATION-VIETNAM-VACANCY@eeas.europa.eu. The package should include a cover letter, a detailed CV, and copy of diplomas/certificates, references (if any).
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview and/or written test
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone: please address any queries concerning this procedure to DELEGATION-VIETNAM-VACANCY@eeas.europa.eu.
After the deadline for applications, the applications will be reviewed by a Selection Committee set up for this purpose. The Selection Committee will prepare a short-list of candidates who are considered to be the most suitable for the post on the basis of a preliminary assessment of the information provided in their application letter and the supporting documents. The short-listed candidates will be invited to an assessment phase which may include an interview and/or written test if necessary – during this phase, the Selection Committee will assess the suitability of the candidates for the post.
The deadline for applications is: 17:00hrs, 08 July 2018