Delegation of the European Union to Uruguay

Travel to the EU

01/04/2021 - 12:00
Travel to the EU

Check information about travelling to and studying in the European Union (EU).

If you are a citizen of a non-EU country and want to travel to the EU or within its borders, you need a valid passport valid for three months after the expected date of departure from the EU country you are in and that the passport has been issued in the previous ten years.

You can find useful information on the following pages:

For questions regarding travel to specific European countries, please contact the Embassy or Consulate of the relevant Member States to receive the most up-to-date information.

It is also advisable to consult the airline/s you will travel with.



The European Commission has proposed to create a digital green certificate to facilitate safe free movement inside the EU during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Digital Green Certificate will be a proof that a person has been vaccinated against COVID-19, received a negative test result or recovered from COVID-19. 

Please keep in mind that:

  • this proposal has not yet been approved, and may be modified by the European Parliament and the Member States,
  • the proposal clearly establishes that each Member State is free to accept the vaccines it deems appropriate as proof of immunization against COVID-19,
  • the proposal mainly aims to reactivate mobility inside the EU (given the suspension of non-essential travel to Europe), so the vaccines listed are those already approved by the EU.

See the details of the proposal here.

Citizens of Uruguay do not need a visa for leisure stays of up to ninety days in countries that are part of the Schengen area. However, border officials in EU countries may ask for supporting documentation for entry into the country, such as a letter of invitation or proof of accommodation, medical insurance documentation or a return ticket.

To find out what the exact requirements are, contact the local consular services of the country to which you wish to travel.

Conditions of entry to the United Kingdom and Ireland are governed by their own national legislation and differ from the EU rules.

Uruguayan legal citizens holding Uruguayan passports stating that they have a third-country nationality who wish to travel to Schengen area countries or European Union countries that already apply the Schengen visa code (Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia and Cyprus), must comply with the requirements corresponding to their nationality of origin. Therefore, in case of having the nationality of a country included in the list of third countries whose nationals are subject to Schengen visa requirements, they will have to process the required visa at the relevant Consulate.

The list of third countries whose nationals are subject to the Schengen visa obligation can be found here.

You can find details of consular services in Uruguay for the European Union country you may wish to travel to here.

Erasmus+ is the EU programme to support education, training, youth and sport in Europe, offering opportunities to study, gain experience and volunteer.

Who can take part?

Erasmus+ is open to many people and organisations, although the eligibility criteria vary depending on the type of action and the country.

Individuals (private individuals, students and teaching staff) can participate in numerous opportunities funded by Erasmus+, although most do so through an organisation taking part in the programme. The eligibility criteria for individuals and organisations depend on the country in which they are based.

As a partner country, Uruguay can only take part in some Erasmus+ actions, under specific conditions.

For more information on eligibility criteria, you can visit the pages on specific opportunities for individuals and organisations and the Programme guide.

How is it run?

The Erasmus+ programme is run by the European Commission (the executive body of the EU), the Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency (EACEA) and a series of national agencies in the countries that are part of the programme and some partner countries.

Editorial Sections: