To contribute to the ongoing debate at global level about the legal and ethical challenges posed by the use of AI, the European Commission’s Service for Foreign Policy Instruments (FPI) and the Directorate General for Communications Networks, Content and Technology (DG CONNECT), in collaboration with the European External Action Services (EEAS), launched the project to promote the establishment of an “International Alliance for a human-centric approach to Artificial Intelligence” (IA-AI).
The project aims to provide expert advisory services and technical assistance to the European Commission ‘To contribute to the setting up of a framework for ethics and trust to enable the growth of AI in accordance with EU and universally recognised values and prepare the ground for global alliance building in this field.'
To achieve this goal, the specific objectives of the project are to support the Commission to:
1. Develop responsible leadership in global discussions around AI
2. Create the conditions for the uptake of policies and good practices / standards that ensure appropriate ethical and legal framework on AI
3. Improve public awareness of the challenges and opportunities associated with AI
What do we plan?
The IA-AI project aims to leverage existing multilateral and bilateral initiatives to build global alliances around human-centric AI within the context of international fora such as the OECD, the G20, the G7, the recently established Global Partnership on AI (GPAI), and the United Nations. Through the mobilisation of strategic communication and technical expertise, the project expects to complement the ongoing international processes adding on joint initiatives with key interested partners and like-minded-countries.
To this end, the IA-AI project will conduct the following activities during its implementation phase:
1. Dialogue and joint initiatives with like-minded partners: aimed to support policy dialogue and knowledge exchange activities for targeted stakeholders concerned with human-centric AI and/or convergence of regulatory approaches to foster awareness of EU policy initiatives.
2. Public outreach and technology diplomacy: with the goal to conduct policy and public outreach and technology diplomacy communication, enhancing visibility of the EU activities and leadership position to promote the establishment of a global alliance on human-centric AI.
3. Research, intelligence gathering, and monitoring of AI developments: to review the progress of AI initiatives globally as well as facilitate knowledge exchange, increase awareness, and promote understanding and acceptance of a common approach to a responsible and trustworthy AI.
Contact: IA-AI Project team: email@example.com