The European Union currently has 141 delegations, which are placed under the authority of the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, who is also Vice President of the European Commission.
The European External Action Service (EEAS) is seeking a highly motivated contract agent FG IV to occupy the post of Infrastructure Officer at the Delegation of the European Union to the United States in Washington.
Under the supervision of the Head and Deputy Head of Administration and in collaboration with other members of the Administrative Section your main responsibilities will be to oversee and coordinate all building operations related to the Office building and the Residence of the Head of Delegation.
You will work closely with the external building property contractor (s) and all other related parties to help define efficient strategic planning for the office building and the residence. Both premises are the property of the EU Delegation.
Under the direction of the Head of Administration the person will be called to:
- Contribute to the development and implementation of a strategic plan for building project/facility management as the representative of the owner, including maintenance schedules, planning for capital investment, taking into account real estate and construction industry pricing and industry standards, lifecycle of technical installation and building equipment;
- Elaborate a strategic plan for current and future leases in line with the long term objective of a "House of Europe";
- Prepare detailed terms of reference and schedules for the management plan of all building operations and maintenance activities, and see to their timely implementation;
- Specific duties will include:
- Define performance specifications for operations and maintenance activities of building equipment and analyse their technical and economic feasibility;
- Evaluate costs for operations, maintenance and works, and coordinate budget planning and budget implantation for infrastructure related contracts;
- Draft the technical specifications for the procurement procedures to be put in place for building operations and maintenance and all related equipment;
- Provide technical insight for the analysis of the technical and financial offers submitted by contractors;
- Supervise the operational implementation of maintenance contracts and operations (including the property management contract) and report on a regular basis on the performance of building operation and maintenance;
- Follow-up the good conservation of building infrastructure and equipment, identify and propose retrofits, renovation works or improvements to be carried out;
- Manage maintenance contracts, renovation and construction works taking into account labour local practices, environmental concerns, best practices, scope of local technical services, vendors and service providers available, local building regulations, permitting, etc.;
- Enforce the application of work conditions norms and regulations (including sanitary, health and safety, security and accessibility rules).
In order to be eligible for the post of contract agent FG IV candidates must:
- have passed a valid EPSO CAST in a valid FG for this post or
- be registered in the EPSO Permanent CAST in a valid FG for this post https://epso.europa.eu/apply/job-offers_en?keyword=&contract=37&grade=Al...
All Candidates must meet the minimum qualifications for engagement as contract agent FG IV:
- (i) Have a level of education, which corresponds to completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma, or
- (ii) in exceptional circumstances, and where justified in the interest of the service, professional training of an equivalent level (related to the nature of the tasks and qualifications indicated in the Job Description).
- Be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen.
- Have the capacity to work in languages of CFSP and external relations necessary for the performance of their duties. Knowledge of other EU languages would be an asset.
Candidates should have:
- An established track record in architectural and engineering expertise and proven experience in office building project management; ;
- The capability to work with professional IT tools for project management (Excel and MS project or equivalent) and technical architectural tools (AutoCad, BIM or equivalent);
- Understanding of the USA and District of Columbia regulatory framework for building regulations would be considered an asset;
- Knowledge of public procurement rules and or financial management would be considered an asset;
- Professional collaboration skills; a friendly, accommodating and solution oriented attitude, whilst functioning within the limits of EU policies;
- Strong drafting (business writing) , communication and negotiating skills;
- The ability to work autonomously and precise, and to deliver results in a timely manner;
- Knowledge of French and/or Spanish would be considered an asset.
- Applicants must be able to work in a different socio-cultural environment and to adapt quickly to evolving situations.
- As a matter of policy, applications of individuals who have the dual nationality of the host country or the partner of whom has the nationality of the host country will be considered on a case-by-case basis. The EEAS examines if there could be a conflict of interest and the consequence of a possible refusal by the host country to grant diplomatic immunity to the staff member and or his/her partner and family, as well as possible security risks. The HR Department may ask for additional information from the applicant in this context.
Before submitting their application, candidates should carefully check whether they meet all the eligibility criteria. Failure to meet any of these eligibility requirements means an automatic exclusion from the selection procedure.
Candidates are deemed to be fully aware of the local living conditions, including information concerning the accommodation, before applying.
Individual post reports are available from EEAS.BA.HR.3, Rights and Obligations (RIGHTS-AND-OBLIGATIONS@eeas.europa.eu).
Applications (CV and motivation letters) are to be sent to the Head of Administration (Petrus.VAN-DER-PLAS@eeas.europa.eu) copy to email@example.com
In your application, please mention your EPSO candidate number.
The closing date for the submission of applications is 06/08/2019 at 18.00 (CET). Late applications will not be accepted.
The selection panel will make a pre-selection on the basis of the qualifications and professional experience described in the CV and motivational letter, and will produce a shortlist of eligible candidates who best meet the selection criteria for the post.
The preselected candidates will be invited for an interview by a selection panel. The panel will recommend a shortlist of candidates for a final decision by the Authority Empowered to Conclude Contracts of Employment. The Authority may decide to interview the candidates on the final shortlist before taking this decision.
SPECIFIC CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
The successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting, if (s) he does not already hold security clearance to an appropriate level (EU SECRET), in accordance with the relevant security provisions.
Contract agent 3 a position (Function group IV); fixed term contract for a period of 1 year.
Successful candidates must undergo a medical examination to ensure that they are physically fit to perform their duties. When selected candidates undergo their medical visit, they should indicate any serious health problems or requirements for specialised medical treatment for themselves and/or for the individuals who will accompany them. If staff members withhold such information they will not benefit from a reimbursement by the institution of certain costs, e.g. expenses relating to medical evacuation, or to a return to Headquarters in the case of early rotation.
Candidates should ensure that they are also fully aware of the provisions of Annex X of the SR. Annex X of the SR does not apply to Delegations located within the European Union (i.e. Paris, Rome, Strasbourg, Vienna).
Job available from: As soon as possible
LCA (living conditions allowances): 0%
EU Delegation Offices: