The Role of the EU Delegation:
- to initiate, promote, support and develop bilateral dialogue and cooperation for the mutual benefit of the EU and the UAE.
The EU Delegation:
- represents the EU in the UAE and/or as instructed by Headquarters;
- assesses and works towards the development and enhancement of EU-UAE bilateral relations, including in the newer areas/domains of cooperation (e.g. human rights dialogue, development and humanitarian cooperation in third countries, non-proliferation, counter terrorism and anti-piracy, etc.);
- follows up bilateral relations in the areas of policy, security, the economy, trade and external assistance cooperation (financial and technical);
- follows up EU policies in all sectors;
- represents the EU in international agencies and organisations present in the UAE (IRENA, Hedayah, CBRN Centre of Excellence);
- promotes and defends EU values and interests;
- promotes relations with civil society, human rights advocates and the media in the UAE;
- undertakes the local presidency functions in the UAE and maintains close contact with the local EU presidency in areas not covered by the Delegation;
- contributes to coordination with EU country embassies, particularly in the fields of EU competences, notably trade, energy and external assistance;
- undertakes CFSP démarches as appropriate;
- reports back to Headquarters on all matters of interest for EU policies;
- carries out press and public diplomacy activities in pursuit of the above.