Russia is quite progressive in its laws, which guarantee the opportunity to implement civil, economic, political, and other rights and freedoms for people with disabilities (PWDs) on an equal basis with other citizens. The issue is in laws enforcement. It means that several million citizens with disabilities, with different abilities are unable to contribute to the society, lead active lifestyle, and form families or create own life plan. Hence, there are issues with physical obstacles and attitude towards people with disabilities as well as lack of understanding their needs. The COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak was an emergency requiring an adequate response from all of society. However, the problem turned into an opportunity to look for suitable solutions and ways to better help and integrate vulnerable populations into the society.
The project “Step into the Future- friendly and comfortable municipalities” balance some practical solutions and tests them in collaboration with involved interested parties in pilot municipalities, having a goal to achieve better conditions for integration and quality daily life for people with disabilities in Kaliningrad region and other regions of Russia. The transfer of know-how and leading expertise between EU and Russia is one of the main methodological approaches. Behavioural and cultural shift in parties concerned caused by project to keep their support and contacts with PWDs after completion stage in very important.
Key activities and projected results:
We are planning to:
We will carry out:
- conferences, round tables and educational webinars for key partners and beneficiaries
- trainings for NGO’s employees and volunteers
- internships in Czech Republic and Poland for key partners and stakeholders
- rehabilitation sightseeing tours for PWDs
We will create:
- adapted greenhouses in two inclusive schools for PWDs
- accessible bird watching site on the territory of National Park “Curonian Spit” for PWDs
We will develop:
- PWD art therapy programmes for painting, pottery and working with amber products
- PWD educational classes on e-commerce, photo and video clips production
We will manage:
- sub-grants to create accessible environment, services, and support for NGOs activities and social entrepreneurs in Kaliningrad region and five regions of Russia.
In general, through various activities of the project, about 1000 people with disabilities and their families will benefit in different ways and learn to be happy again after COVID-19 pandemic, and the opportunity to protect their rights and be more active in society.
Duration: 07/05/2021 – 06/05/2024 (36 months)
Total Project Budget: € 467,000
EU Contribution: € 420,000
Location/s: Russia, Kaliningrad region and other regions in Russia (Republic of Tatarstan, Buryatia, Belgorod, Voronezh etc)
Implementing Partners: Autonomous non-commercial organization the Development centre of Social and Educational Projects «AURA», Coalition Clean Baltic (Sweden)