The Delegation of European Union to Uganda offers paid traineeships to Ugandan young graduates with less than one year of professional experience. During the traineeships, trainees will be fully involved in the activities of the Delegation, notably in the Political, Press & Information Section.
- Are you a young graduate interested in international relations?
- Are you curious to learn more about work in a diplomatic mission and how an EU Delegation represents EU interests and values outside of the EU?
What do we offer?
A traineeship is offered for a period of 3 months on average and shall not exceed 6 months within the Political, Press & Information Section of the EU Delegation to Uganda. Specific situations can be discussed in case of candidates considered with strong background including academic merits.
Interested trainees can send their CV's at any time to email@example.com by 31 July 2018. Specific merits in terms of academic performance and in terms of language skills are considered a great advantage.
- Research and analyse information;
- Draft analytical and synthetic reports on policies and current affairs;
- Attend and participate in meetings, seminars and conferences in Kampala;
- Support the section in the preparation of visits, missions and meetings as well as follow-up actions.
The traineeship offers opportunities for high-level contacts with the Ugandan authorities, European counterparts and EU Member States.Discretion in handling these contacts and possibly sensitive information is essential.The successful candidates would have the opportunity to learn about the functioning of the EEAS, established in 2010, and on diplomatic and political working methods and policies.
Candidates must be:
- Citizens of the host country, nationals from the EU Member States or pre-accession States;
- Young graduates with at least a Bachelor Diploma (or equivalent);
- Fluent in English;
- Highly motivated, willing to learn and able to work both in a multi-cultural team and to carry out tasks independently;
- Able to demonstrate strong sense of initiative, research, writing and analysis skills;
- Skilled in using Microsoft office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Knowledge & Experience:
- Maximum one year of professional experience;
- No previous experience of more than six weeks in the EU Institutions.
The organisation of the selection process will ensure that all candidates are treated in a fair, transparent and non-discriminatory way. Based on the required profile and tasks to be assigned to the selected trainee, selection will be carried out by a Committee made up of the Head of Delegation, the Head of the Political Section or representative, one official, after:
- Screening of applications;
- Establishment of a short-list;
- Interview of at least 3 eligible candidates (interview by phone/skype if short-listed candidates are not in Kampala);
- Reception of relevant supporting documents.
The work of the Committee is confidential, final and binding. There is no appeal procedure. Only the candidates invited to interviews will be contacted.
- Traineeship is based at the Delegation of the European Union to Uganda in Kampala.
- Period of the traineeship is for an average duration of three months with maximum of six months.
- Traineeship is in principle full time (40 hours per week), however, taking into account the specific needs of the successfully selected trainees, especially to compliment ongoing academic study schedules.
- Trainees shall be entitled to same European and public holidays as EU Officials and two days leave per month on a pro rata basis.
- Prior to any formal offering the traineeship post, the preselected candidates should provide the Delegation with the following documents:
- Copy of the diploma/bachelor (young graduates) or University letter requesting a compulsory traineeship (for students);
- sickness and accident health insurance coverage during the entire traineeship;
- Language certificates (if English is not mother tongue);
- Extract from the "judicial record";
- Medical certificate stating that she/he is fit for work and have no infectious diseases (a certificate written by a general practitioner is sufficient);
- Passport/ID card.
- Applications from non-eligible candidates will not be considered. After the evaluation of all applications, shortlisted candidates will be contacted and invited for an interview. Unsuccessful candidates will be notified by email. In case the selected candidate is not able to present the required documents, his/her candidacy will be rejected.
- Each selected trainee will receive a monthly grant to cover living expenses. However costs related to travel, insurance, accommodation and visa must be borne by the trainee.
- A Traineeship Agreement will be signed between the Traineeship Supervisor and the selected trainee before the start date of the traineeship.
- The trainee must declare that there is no real or potential conflict of interest and that he/she will observe a duty of discretion and non-disclosure of information.
- The trainee will be placed under the responsibility of a traineeship advisor who will guide and supervise the trainee throughout the traineeship.
- At the end of the traineeship, an activity report and evaluation shall be drawn up and signed by the trainee. The EU Delegation shall issue a certificate specifying the placement and length of the traineeship.
The Application dossier should contain the following documents:
- A letter of motivation in English
- A Standard CV (English version)
- A copy certified to confirm your University Diploma;
- Successful candidates will be requested to provide supporting documents from their host University at later stages of the recruitment.
Before applying you are requested to examine the general eligibility criteria*
for traineeships (Article 8 of the Decision ADMIN(2017)28 - Paid traineeship for young graduates)
Applications from non-eligible candidates will not be considered. After the evaluation of all applications, shortlisted candidates will be contacted and invited for an interview. Unsuccessful candidates will be notified by email. In case the selected candidate is not able to present the required documents, his/her candidacy will be rejected.
A traineeship in EU Delegation in Uganda is worth doing and we will make every effort in ensuring that for successful interns, the traineeship will give a head start on the job market with the possibility of having the recommendation of the EU Delegation. We ensure that you will be treated as a full member of the PPI team to make this internship an all embracive professional learning experience. Do not hesitate to contact us in cae of any questions.