The Delegation of European Union to Uganda offers unpaid traineeships to Ugandan university students, in their third, fourth or fifth-year of studies, with no professional experience, where the traineeship is a complement to their academic training. During the traineeships, trainees will be fully involved in the activities of the Delegation, notably in the Political, Press and Information Section.
Traineeship is offered for a period of 3 months on average and shall not exceed 6 months. Specific situations can be discussed in case of candidates considered with a strong background including academic merits.
Interested trainees can send their CV’s at any given time to Grace.Balungi@eeas.europa.eu cc the Head of the Political, Press and Information Section, Mrs Sandra Paesen (Sandra.Paesen@eeas.europa.eu). Specific merits in terms of academic performance and in terms of language skills are considered a great advantage.
- Research and analyse information;
- Draft analytical and synthetic reports on policies and current affairs;
- Attend and participate in meetings, seminars and conferences in Kampala.
- Support the section in the preparation of visits, missions and meetings as well as follow-up actions.
The traineeship offer opportunities for high-level contacts with the Ugandan authorities, European counterparts and EU Member States. Discretion in handling these contacts and possibly sensitive information is essential. The successful candidates would have the opportunity to learn about the functioning of the EEAS, established in 2010, and on diplomatic and political working methods and policies.
Candidates must be:
- Ugandan nationals currently residing in Uganda;
- Currently a third, fourth, or fifth year student (or equivalent) of a higher education establishment or University in Uganda;
- Currently enrolled in a higher education establishment or university that requires (i) such a period of training to be undertaken as part of the course of study or (ii) access to a profession or (iii) research for a thesis or doctorate. (Proof of such compulsory traineeship request shall be provided by the candidate's educational establishment);
- Fluent in English;
- Highly motivated, willing to learn and able to work both in a multi-cultural team and to carry out tasks independently;
- Able to demonstrate strong sense of initiative, research, writing and analysis skills;
- Skilled in using Microsoft office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Knowledge & experience:
- No relevant professional experience (not including past internships).
- Candidates who have already worked for an EU institution for a period of time, including Blue Book trainees, are not eligible for this traineeship.
The organisation of the selection process will ensure that all candidates are treated in a fair, transparent and non-discriminatory way. Based on the required profile and tasks to be assigned to the selected trainee, selection will be carried out by a Committee made up of the Head of Delegation, the Head of the Political Section or representative, one official, after:
- Screening of applications;
- Establishment of a short-list;
- Interview of at least 3 eligible candidates (interview by phone/skype if short-listed candidates are not in Kampala);
- Reception of relevant supporting documents.
The work of the Committee is confidential, final and binding. There is no appeal procedure. Only the candidates invited to interview will be contacted.
- Traineeship is based at the Delegation of the European Union to Uganda in Kampala.
- Period of the traineeship is for an average duration of three months with maximum of six months.
- Traineeship is in principle full time (40 hours per week), however taking into account the specific needs of the successfully selected trainees, especially to complement ongoing academic study schedules.
- Trainees shall be entitled to same European and public holidays as EU Officials and two days leave per month on a pro rata basis.
- Prior to any formal offering the trainee ship post, the trainee will need to provide proof of:
- University letter requesting a compulsory traineeship;
- Sickness and accident health insurance coverage during the entire traineeship;
- Language certificates (if English is not mother tongue);
- Extract from the "judicial record";
- Medical certificate stating that trainee is fit for work and have no infectious diseases (a certificate written by a general practitioner is sufficient);
- Passport/ID card.
- The trainee will have to bear all insurance, medical, travel and accommodation expenses. In no circumstance the EU Delegation in Uganda will be in a position to intervene in these matters. In principle, no work permit is required.
- A Traineeship Agreement will be signed between the Traineeship Supervisor, the selected trainee, and the host University before the start date of the traineeship.
- The trainee must declare that there is no real or potential conflict of interest and that he/she will observe a duty of discretion and non-disclosure of information.
- The Trainee will be placed under the responsibility of a traineeship advisor who will uguide and supervise the trainee throughout the traineeship.
- At the end of the traineeship, an activity report and evaluation shall be drawn up and signed by the trainee. The EU Delegation shall issue a certificate specifying the placement and length of the traineeship.
The Application dossier should contain the following documents:
- A letter of motivation in English
- A Standard CV (English version)
- A copy certified conform of your University Diploma or, for these not having obtained the diploma yet, a letter from the University attesting of the attendance to University classes.
- Successful candidates will be requested to provide supporting documents from their host University at later stages of the recruitment.
A traineeship in the EU Delegation in Uganda is worth doing and we will make every effort in ensuring that for successful interns, the traineeship will give a head start on the job market with the possibility of having the recommendation of the EU Delegation. We ensure that you will be treated as a full member of the PPI team to make this internship an all embracive professional learning experience. Do not hesitate to contact us in case of any questions.