Traineeship is offered for a period of 3 months on average and shall not exceed 6 months. Specific situations can be discussed in case of candidates considered with a strong background including academic merits.
Interested trainees can send their CV’s at any given time to Grace.Balungi@eeas.europa.eu cc the Head of the Political, Press and Information Section, Mrs Sandra Paesen (Sandra.Paesen@eeas.europa.eu). Specific merits in terms of academic performance and in terms of language skills are considered a great advantage.
- research and analyse information
- draft analytical and synthetic reports on policies and current affairs
- attend and participate in meetings, seminars and conferences in Kampala
- support the section in the preparation of visits, missions and meetings as well as follow-up actions
The traineeship offer opportunities for high-level contacts with the Ugandan authorities, European counterparts and EU Member States. Discretion in handling these contacts and possibly sensitive information is essential.
The successful candidates would have the opportunity to learn about the functioning of the EEAS, established in 2010, and on diplomatic and political working methods and policies.
Candidates must be:
- EU nationals
- Ugandan nationals
- Young graduates with a University diploma or be studying in a University or relevant academic centre
- Fluent in English
- Highly motivated, willing to learn and able to work both in a multi-cultural team and to carry out tasks independently
- Demonstrate strong sense of initiative, research, writing and analysis skills
- Skilled in using Microsoft office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Knowledge & experience:
- Relevant professional experience should not exceed a maximum of one year.
- Candidates who have already worked for an EU institution for a period of time, included Blue Book trainees are not eligible for this traineeship.
The organisation of the selection process will ensure that all candidates are treated in a fair, transparent and non-discriminatory way.
Based on the required profile and tasks to be assigned to the selected trainee, selection will be carried out by a Committee made up of the Head of Delegation, the Head of the Political Section or representative, one official and/or other agents, after
- Screening of applications
- Establishment of a short-list and
- Interview of at least 3 eligible candidates (interview by phone/skype if short-listed candidates are not in Kampala).
The work of the Committee is confidential, final and binding. There is no appeal procedure. Only the candidates invited to interview will be contacted.
- Traineeship is based at the Delegation of the European Union to Uganda in Kampala
- Period of the traineeship is for an average duration of three months with maximum of six months.
- Traineeship is in principle full time (40 hours per week), however taking into account the specific needs of the successfully selected trainee.
- Prior to any formal offering the trainee ship post, the trainee will need to provide proof of sickness and accident insurance coverage (for EU citizens) in Uganda which covers expenses occurred in Uganda. Insurance with specific repatriation coverage is necessary. All costs related to sickness and accident insurance, possible repatriation insurance, et are for the time spent during the duration of the traineeship in Uganda are borne by the trainee.
- Furthermore, the trainee will have to bear all travel, accommodation, visa related expenses. In no circumstance the EU Delegation in Uganda will be in a position to intervene in these matters. In principle, no work permit is required.
- A Traineeship Agreement will be signed between the Traineeship Supervisor and the selected trainee before the start date of the traineeship. The trainee will have to declare that there is no real or potential conflict of interest and that he/she will observe a duty of discretion and non-disclosure of information.
The Application dossier should contain the following documents:
- A letter of motivation in English
- A Standard CV (English version)
- A copy certified conform of your University Diploma or, for these not having obtained the diploma yet, a letter from the University attesting of the attendance to University classes.
A traineeship in the EU Delegation in Uganda is worth doing and we will make every effort in ensuring that for successful interns, the traineeship will give a head start on the job market with the possibility of having the recommendation of the EU Delegation. We ensure that you will be treated as a full member of the PPI team to make this internship an all embracive professional learning experience. Do not hesitate to contact us in case of any questions.