The Head of the EU Delegation to Turkey acts as EU Ambassador to Turkmenistan.
The EU Liaison office in Ashgabat is headed by a Chargé d'Affaires.
The Liaison office in particular:
- Ensures the representation of the European Union in Turkmenistan;
- Maintains and develops bilateral relations with Turkmenistan in accordance with the 1998 Interim Trade Agreement, notably through building partnerships with government and other decision-makers, business, academics, media and civil society; promotion democracy, good governance and respect for human rights; facilitation of trade and investment relations;
- Coordinates and supports activities of EU member states Embassies;
- Reports back to headquarters on all matters of interest for EU policies;
- Works towards increasing the visibility, awareness and understanding of the EU and its policies in Turkmenistan and Central Asia;
- Carries out press and public diplomacy activities and promotes people-to-people contacts in pursuit of the above.
Development cooperation programmes or Turkmenistan are run from the EU headquarters in Brussels or from the EU Delegation to Kazakhstan in Astana.