Welcome to the website of the Delegation of the European Union to Trinidad and Tobago!
The European Union and Trinidad and Tobago enjoy a long standing friendship and cooperation that goes back to 1976 when the European Union first opened a Delegation in Port of Spain. Over the years, the relationship moved from one based on development cooperation to a more comprehensive partnership that also addresses political issues, security, economic and trade relations, and other areas of mutual interest between the European Union and Trinidad and Tobago.
This website will give you brief and concise information about what the partnership entails and may expand on messages posted on the Delegation's Facebook page or the Ambassador's and Delegation's Twitter accounts. It will also offer you in-depth information on the role of the Delegation, job opportunities, calls for proposals that may be of interest to civil society organisations, and tenders for procurement of supplies and services. The Delegation website complements the Europa website where you will find more general information on European Union policies.
The Delegation works closely together with the Member States of the European Union to further strengthen and improve the excellent relations which exist between the European Union and its partners. Where considered relevant, our website will provide links to our partners' pages for further information.
I hope you enjoy visiting our website and that you find the information you are looking for. Please contact us should you require additional information or wish to share your comments and suggestions with us. Your feedback will be very much appreciated as we constantly strive to improve the quality of our website. Our email address is email@example.com.
Ambassador Aad Biesebroek, Head of Delegation
Aad Biesebroek was appointed EU Ambassador to Trinidad and Tobago on September 1st, 2016. He is the first resident EU Ambassador to Trinidad and Tobago since 2002.
Mr. Biesebroek has been working for the European Commission in the field of external relations and development cooperation since 1990 and served in various Delegations in Africa as well as in the European Union's headquarters in Brussels. Prior to his appointment to Trinidad and Tobago, he served as Head of Cooperation in the Delegation of the European Union to Zambia and COMESA, where he was responsible for managing the development cooperation portfolios for Zambia and for the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA).
- 2012 – Head of Cooperation, Delegation of the European Union to Zambia and COMESA
- 2008 – Head of the Caribbean Section, Directorate General for International Cooperation and Development, European Commission
- 2007 – Senior Desk Officer for Haiti and the Dominican Republic, DG Development, European Commission
- 2004 – Policy Officer Aid Programming and Management, DG Development, European Commission
- 2001 – Desk Officer for Guinea Conakry, Liberia and Togo, DG Development, European Commission
- 1999 – Assistant to the Director for West Africa, Central Africa and the Caribbean, DG Development, European Commission
- 1994 – Head of Administration, EU Delegation to Uganda, European Commission
- 1990 – Head of Administration, EU Delegation to Zimbabwe, European Commission
- 1986 – Official in the Unit Market Organisation for Cereals and Rice, DG Agriculture, European Commission
- 1979 – Various positions in the Netherlands Administration.
Diploma in Economy and Law
Mr. Biesebroek was born in the Netherlands. He is married to Annemieke van Dijk and they have two children. In his spare time he likes to play golf and squash and he is an avid skier.