European Economic and Trade Office in Taiwan

Travel to the EU from Taiwan

17/05/2016 - 15:43
Travel to the EU

Visiting the EU

Europe is an easy region to visit, especially since the adoption of the Schengen visa waiver in 2011 in favour of Taiwanese passport holders. Modern means of transportation let you travel between diverse European destinations in the shortest time possible. This allows you to visit different landscapes, experience different cultures and taste different cuisines all in a short span of time.

To help you do that, the EU has established websites dedicated to giving advice on travelling in its 27 member countries. Whether you are on holiday or on business, you will find practical advice and helpful tips on a range of subjects, from what documents you need, to getting healthcare and using your mobile phone. You may access the site by clicking here.

If you would like to research a bit more what different destinations within Europe have to offer, you may visit this site for more information.

Since 11 January 2011, Taiwanese passport holders no longer need a visa to travel to the EU for short stays. However, member states national visas are still required if you intend to stay or study for longer than 90 days, or to work for any period of time. For more information on national visas, you should contact the member states offices in Taiwan. 

1. What does the visa waiver mean in practice?   

For short term visits of up to 90 days within a period of 180 days, no visa is needed by holders of Taiwanese passports. They can travel to the Schengen area or the four Member States not yet fully applying the "Schengen acquis" (Romania, Bulgaria, Cyprus and Croatia). For employment even if it is less than 90 days, for visits of more than 90 days such as for settlement, for family reunification or studies, Taiwanese passport holders still require a national visa issued by the Member State concerned.

2. To which Member States can Taiwanese passport-holders travel visa-free? 

No short stay visa is required for travel to all EU Member States and to the four associated countries (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland) which are part of the Schengen area. This regime includes the UK and Ireland which have already waived the short stay visa obligation in 2009.

3. Is there a difference between the Schengen-area and the other EU-member states? 

Yes. The countries of the Schengen-area apply common border control regulations. There are no border controls when travelling between these countries. When travelling to the other non- Schengen-member states, border controls are still in place.

4. Does the exemption apply to all types of passports? 

The visa exemption applies to all ordinary Taiwanese passports which contain the identity card number of the holder. The passport needs to have been issued within the previous 10 years and needs to be valid at least 3 months after the intended date of departure from the territory of Member States. For diplomatic and service/official passports please confirm with Member States offices in Taiwan before your trip to the Schengen area.
The exemption from the visa requirement does not apply to holders of passports issued by Taiwan which do not include an identity card number.

5. Do I need a visa to visit any Member State of the Schengen area for business, such as attending meetings, training course, or exhibition for short stay of less than 90 days? 


6. Do I need a visa to transit at airports in the Schengen Area?

No. The visa waiver for Taiwan passport holders also covers transits at airports (or elsewhere) in the Schengen area. Transit without a visa is possible both through the international transit areas of airports, but also when leaving those areas in case of transits through several Member States.

7. Do I need a visa if I wish to study in Europe for less than 90 days? 

No if you only plan to study for less than 90 days.
Yet, if you want to extend your stay, change your status or work in the Schengen area during your studies, you will need to leave the Schengen area and should contact the relevant Member State office in Taiwan (or in the country where you currently reside) for your visa.
In any case, students need a visa for stays longer than 90 days.

8. If I want to visit one country in the Schengen area to get married do I need a visa? 

For the actual wedding celebration, no visa is required. However, if you want to stay more than 90 days you may need to apply for a visa. Please check with the office of your future country of residence.

9. Do I need a visa to work in the Schengen area for less than 90 days? 

Most of the Member States require a visa and a work permit if you intend to work even if it is for less than 90 days. 
You should contact the relevant office in Taipei (or in the country where you currently reside in) to inquire whether a visa is required.

10. How long can I stay in the Schengen area? 

You may stay in the Schengen area for a maximum period of 90 days during any period of 180 days. There is no limitation for the number of times you may enter the Schengen area if the total number of days you stayed in the Schengen area in any 180 days period does not exceed 90 days.

11. When does the 180 days period start?

The 180 days period is defined as the period of 180 days preceding each day of stay in the Schengen area. This means that, on any day of your stay in the Schengen area, you must not have stayed more than 90 days over the preceding 180 days.

If you have spent 0 day within the 90-day period prior to your next entry date, then you could stay for 90 days upon your next entry.

You can use the "Schengen short stay calculator" to help you make sure you will abide by the rules:

Stays in Romania, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, the UK and Ireland will be counted separately from stays in the Schengen area, since these countries are either not members of the Schengen-area or only partially apply Schengen-rules. 

12. What are the entry conditions to the Schengen area Member States? 

The visa waiver does not give an unconditional right of entry and short stay. The visa waiver does not affect the other conditions for entry and short stay. There are a number of conditions that Member States can check like: possession of a valid return ticket, evidence of funding, etc…

For detailed information, please check Council REGULATION (EU) 2016/399 on the rules governing the movement of persons across borders: Schengen borders code.

If entry is refused on the basis of the lack of fulfilment of the entry conditions, the person should be issued a written decision stating the reasons for the refusal and has the right to appeal that decision. These appeals shall be conducted in accordance with the national law of the Member States concerned and the relevant information should be given to the person. 

13. What documents do I need to show to the immigration officer at the port of entry?

You need to show your valid passport. The passport validity should be at least three months at the intended time of departure from the Schengen Area. The passport must have been issued within the previous 10 years.

In addition, you might be asked also to show: flight tickets for further journeys and return tickets; evidence of sufficient means of subsistence; reservation of accommodation, invitation letter in case of visits, conferences; school enrolment certificate in case of study etc.

Travellers to the Schengen area should also be aware that rules concerning travel with minors are still in place. Therefore people travelling with minors should bear proper evidence that demonstrates their relationship to the minors and/or the relevant parental authorization. All documents should be in English or translated into the language of the country they are going to travel. 

A detailed overview of documents you might be asked for can be found here.

14. Do I need to have a valid travel medical insurance to travel to the Schengen area ? 

Travel Medical Insurance is not necessary to enter the Schengen area after the visa waiver but it is highly recommended to have a medical insurance when travelling abroad as a general good practice.

15. Can I stay in the Schengen area under the visa exemption status before, or after, the period of validity of the long term visa or residence permit I obtained from a Schengen area country? 

This depends on member states. You should check with the office of the member state you intend to visit beforehand.

16. Do I need a visa for doing an internship in a Schengen member state? 

This depends on member states. You should check with the office of the member state where you intend to do an internship beforehand.

17. Apart from the Taiwanese passport, which other passports also benefit from the Schengen visa exemption? 

The answer can be found on the following European Commission web page  

Other than the EETO, there are also 15 EU member states representative offices in Taipei, as well as several functional offices established by different member states.
EU Member States Representative Offices
Austrian Office Taipei
Address: 10F, 167 Dunhua N. Rd, Taipei
Telephone: 02 81753283
Fax: 02 25149980
Address: Room 601, 131 Minsheng E. Rd, Sec 3, Taipei
Telephone: 02 27151215
Fax: 02 27126258

Czech Economic and Cultural Office Taipei

Address: Suite B, 7F, No.200, Sec. 1, Keelung Rd., Taipei
Telephone: 02 27225100
Fax: 02 27225117
Address: Room 1207, 205 Dunhua N Rd, Taipei
Telephone: 02 27182101
Fax: 02 27182141
Address:13F, 560 Zhongxiao E Rd Sec 4, Taipei
Telephone: 02 87291231
Fax: 02 87291211
Address: Room 1003, 10F, 205 Dunhua N Rd, Taipei
Telephone: 02 35185151
Fax: 02 35185189
Address: 33rd Floor, No. 7, Taipei 101 Tower, Xinyi Road Sec. 5, Taipei
Telephone: 02 87222800
Fax: 02 81016282
Address: 3F, No.97, Jingye 1st Rd.,  Taipei
Telephone: 02 85011200
Fax: 02 85011161
Address: 1809, 18F, 333 Keelung Rd, Sec 1, Taipei
Telephone: 02 23450320
Fax: 02 27576260
Address: Suite 1812, 18F, No 333, Sec 1, Keelung Rd, Taipei
Telephone: 02 27576007
Fax: 02 27576002
Address: 13F-2, 1, Songgao Rd, Taipei
Telephone: 02 8758 7200
Fax: 02 27205005
Address: Suites 1601-1602 No. 333, Sec. 1, Keelung Rd., Taipei
Telephone: 02 77183300
Fax: 02 77183310
Address: Room 1203, 12F, 333 Keelung Rd, Sec 1, Taipei
Telephone: 02 87803231
Fax: 02 27235096
Address: 10F-B1, 49 Minsheng E. Rd, Sec. 3, Taipei
Telephone: 02 25184905
Fax: 02 25184891
Address: Suite 2406, 24F, 333 Keelung Rd, Sec 1, Taipei
Telephone: 02 27576573
Fax: 02 27576308
EU Member States Functional Offices
Trade and investment
Address: Room 608, 205 Dunhua North Road, Taipei
Telephone: 02 27155220
Fax: 02 27173242
Address: Suite 1008, 10F, No. 333, Section 1, Keelung Road, Taipei
Telephone: 02 27577080
Fax: 02 27577090
Address: 1909, No. 333, Keelung Rd., Sec. 1 Taipei
Telephone: 02 87585800
Fax: 02 87585833
Address: Suite 1912, 19F, No. 333, Sec. 1, Keelung Road, Taipei
Telephone: 02 27251542
Fax: 02 27576274

Campus France

Address: 10F, No.205, Tun-Hwa North Road, Taipei 105
Telephone: 02 35185160
Address: 11F, 20 Heping West Road Section 1, Taipei
Telephone: 02 23677871
Address: 12F, 20 Heping West Road Section 1, Taipei
Telephone: 02 23657294
Fax: 02 23687542

The Erasmus+ programme aims to boost skills and employability, as well as modernising Education, Training, and Youth work. The seven year programme has a budget of €14.7 billion - a 40% increase compared to previous spending levels, reflecting the EU's commitment to invest in these areas.

The Erasmus+ programme offers many education and research opportunities to students, academics and researchers from Taiwan. You may find more information on the Commission's dedicated webpage:

Editorial Sections: