The Delegation of the European Union to Sudan is headed by Ambassador Jean-Michel Dumond, who took up his post on 14 September 2016. Mr. Dumond was the former EU Ambassador to the Democratic Republic of Congo, Former French Ambassador to Nigeria and diplomat in Germany, Italy and Romania. He speaks French, English, German and Italian. He won the knight in the National Order of Merit (Chevalier de l'Ordre National du Mérite) and the knight of the Legion of Honour (Chevalier de la Légion d'Honneur).
The role of the EU Delegation in the Sudan is to:
- Ensure the representation of the European Union to Sudan in the areas set out in the EU Treaty of Lisbon.
- Ensures the follow-up of bilateral relations in the areas of political, economic, humanitarian and development cooperation (financial and technical).
- Promote and defend the values and interests of the EU through monitoring human rights, continue development cooperation and promote humanitarian assistance in the Sudan.
- Coordinate with Member States’ embassies in the fields of EU competencies like political, development cooperation, humanitarian assistance, human rights, consular and administrative areas.
- Reports back to Headquarters on all matters of interest to EU policies.
- Maintains the visibility, awareness and understanding of the EU