In the esteemed presence of Hon. Minister Kaikai, the European Union and Ireland today proudly co-launched the “Team Europe Initiative Supporting District Level response to COVID-19” at the Ministry of Planning and Economic Development.
With combined resources of up to 1.5 million EUR (16.5 billion SLL), this initiative will bring together no less than 6 six outstanding European, Irish and Sierra Leonean NGOs to complement national covid response efforts across 11 districts of Sierra Leone, thereby bringing relief to over 400.000 Sierra Leoneans amongst the most vulnerable communities.
The specific EU component of the Team Europe Initiative will be implemented in the districts of Falaba and Karene by a coalition of NGOs and local authorities led by Trócaire, in partnership with Action for Advocacy and Development Sierra Leone (AAD-SL) and Kambia District Development and Rehabilitation Organisation (KADDRO).
The concrete activities that will be conducted in Falaba and Karene are:
• to provide operational support to the District Councils, DICOVERCs and screening checkpoints
• to distribute hygiene materials, provide COVID-19 prevention messaging and operate two covid information phonelines
• to distribute quarantine packages to quarantining households
• to provide operational support to government quarantine facilities where requested and to operate a quarantine complaints and response mechanism
• to distribute food support packages and nutritional seed packages to vulnerable households
• to coordinate manual workers to tend to farms.
Kindly find the speech: european_union_speech_-_team_europe_initiative.pdf