The European External Action Service (EEAS) supports the work of the High Representative in defining and implementing an effective and coherent EU foreign policy. The EEAS supports his tasks of conducting the EU's Common Foreign and Security Policy and chairing the Foreign Affairs Council. It also supports the High Representative in his capacity as Vice President of the Commission with regard to his responsibilities within the Commission in the external relations field including the coordination of other aspects of the EU's external action. The EEAS works in close cooperation with Member States, the Council and relevant services of the European Commission.
The EEAS Strategic Communications Division (Stratcom) leads the European Union's communication on Common Foreign and Security Policy, as well as its external action more broadly. It provides around-the-clock professional support to the HR/VP in all his public diplomacy activities. This includes integrated communication campaigns and media relations, web-based communication and social media, speeches, articles, graphic design and audio-visual materials. StratCom provides tailor-made communications guidance and support to the EU's network of more than 142 Delegations and offices around the world, as well as to the EU's Common Security and Defence Policy missions and operations. The Division is also responsible for allocating and ensuring proper control of communications budgets both at headquarters and in the field and leads internal communication to EEAS staff.
The Strategic Communications Division of the EEAS is seeking to recruit an experienced and dynamic communications professional to reinforce the Western Balkans Task Force within Stratcom. The Task Force works to enhance overall EU communication efforts towards the Western Balkans region, in close coordination with the relevant policy divisions of the EEAS, the European Commission (DG NEAR), the EU Delegations, the Spokespersons Service and Member State communications experts. The successful applicant will report to the EEAS Stratcom Head of Division.
The position of the Strategic Communication Officer in the Western Balkans Task Force who would contribute to the:
- Analysis of the perceptions of the EU's policies and values/interests in the Western Balkans region;
- Assistance to EU Delegations in the development of coherent and focused strategic communications action plans targeting priority audiences and addressing local perceptions;
- Design and coordination of campaigns and communications projects (including in local languages) on specific issues and priorities;
- Drafting and coordination of implementation of communication action plans for specific countries, including advising on content;
- Development of the EU narratives to communicate the benefits of the EU policies, values and interests in the Western Balkans region;
- Ensure that the relevant pages on the EEAS website contain accurate and up to date information, including impact stories, and serve their purpose as a channel for strategic communication for EU audiences;
- Promote closer cooperation and synergies between the EEAS and the EU institutions in their efforts towards effective EU strategic communications in the Western Balkans;
- Work with relevant EU Institutions and bodies on strategic medium-long term activities, including region-wide and individual country communication campaigns;
- Support other functions of the EEAS Strategic Communications Division;
- Help delegations identify and address disinformation activities targeting the EU in the Western Balkans.
Candidates for this contract agent IV post should:
- - (i) have passed a valid EPSO CAST in FG IV ; or
- (ii) be registered in the EPSO Permanent CAST in FG IV https://epso.europa.eu/apply/job-offers_en?keyword=&contract=37&grade=All&institution=101&location=All
- have completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma;
- have at least three years of relevant profesional experinece in communications, preferably in the intrenational context
- have the capacity to work in languages of CFSP and external relations necessary for the performance of their duties. Knowledge of other EU languages would be an asset.
- be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen.
- have knowledge about the current political and cultural context in the Western Balkans and the EU's policies and positions towards these countries;
- have experience in communications and public diplomacy (for instance strategic communication, media relations, campaigning, content production, marketing, online marketing, social media management audio-visual content development);
- have capacity to create constructive working relations in the field of external relations with national authorities, international organisations and EU Member States;
- have strong drafting and analytical skills combined with sound judgement, rapid grasp of problems and capacity to identify issues and solutions;
- have knowledge of external relations, internal policies and functioning of the Union;
- have excellent communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain a network of contacts both within and outside the EEAS;
- have the ability to communicate clearly on complex issues and the capacity to perform with accuracy and in a flexible manner a diversity of tasks in a complex institutional environment;
- have strong service attitude;
- have a professional fluency in, English and/or French, knowledge of Western Balkans languages would be considered as an asset;
- have capacity to work and communicate under time constraints in a multilingual international diplomatic environment and be a flexible and creative team player.
- have knowledge of social media platforms Twitter and Facebook.
- experience of working in a team in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment;
- experience of working with or within other EU institutions
- experience of working with social media analytics
would be considered as strong assets.
PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT
SPECIFIC CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
The successful candidates will be required to undergo security vetting if they do not already hold security clearance to an appropriate level (EU SECRET), in accordance with the relevant security provisions.
Contract agent position (Function group IV); renewable contract for a maximum duration of 6 years.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURE
Deadline for sending application. Please send your CV and cover letter (with your EPSO CAST number) to
STRATEGIC-COMMUNICATIONS-RECRUITMENT@eeas.europa.eu by 19 December 2019 at 18:00 (CET).
Candidates shall draft their CV following the European CV form which can be found at the following internet address:http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/documents/curriculum-vitae.
The selection panel will make a pre-selection on the basis of the qualifications and professional experience described in the CV and motivational letter, and will produce a shortlist of eligible candidates who best meet the selection criteria for the post.
The candidates who have been preselected will be invited for an interview by a selection panel. The panel will recommend a shortlist of candidates for a final decision by the Authority Empowered to Conclude Contracts of Employment. The Authority may decide to interview the candidates on the final shortlist before taking this decision.
Interviews will be scheduled early 2020.
Starting date: in 2020 in EEAS Headquarters