The European External Action Service (EEAS) supports the work of the High Representative in defining and implementing an effective and coherent EU foreign policy. The EEAS supports her tasks of conducting the EU's Common Foreign and Security Policy and chairing the Foreign Affairs Council. It also supports the High Representative in her capacity as Vice President of the Commission with regard to her responsibilities within the Commission in the external relations field including the coordination of other aspects of the EU's external action. The EEAS works in close cooperation with Member States, the Council and relevant services of the European Commission.
EURCA.EAST.2 is in charge of bilateral relations with the Eastern Partnership countries (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova & Ukraine). We are a dynamic division working on challenging and highly visible files in a priority area of EU external policy.
The position of a Desk Officer for Ukraine - contract agent FG IV.
The successful candidate will join the Ukraine team in the division. She/he will work under the supervision of the team leader, the Deputy Head of Division and the Head of Division, in close cooperation with the respective EU Delegation and in consultation with other EEAS divisions/departments, relevant services of the Commission, and international organisations.
The main duties include:
- to monitor and analyse developments in Ukraine; follow-up, as appropriate; supporting policy dialogues, with particular focus on conflict and security related issues, the conflict in the east of Ukraine and the implementation of Minsk agreements;
- to contribute to the definition, development and implementation of the EU's policy towards Ukraine, in particular on security and conflict related issues;
- to contribute to the implementation of the EU-Ukraine Association Agreement, including the preparation of AA related and other relevant meetings;
- to prepare accurate briefings, speeches, statements, lines to take and drafting strategy papers as well as contribute to the preparation of high level visits as required; - to be ready to perform other tasks requested and act as a back-up of other members of the team.
Candidates for this contract agent IV post should:
- - (i) have passed a valid EPSO CAST in FG IV ; or
- (ii) be registered in the EPSO Permanent CAST in FG IV https://epso.europa.eu/apply/job-offers_en?keyword=&contract=37&grade=All&institution=101&location=All
- have completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma;
- have the capacity to work in languages of CFSP and external relations necessary for the performance of their duties. Knowledge of other EU languages would be an asset;
- be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen.
- have ability to maintain diplomatic relations and to ensure representation and
- communication in a complex, multicultural environment;
- have capacity to create constructive working relations in the field of external relations with national authorities, international organisations and EU Member States;
- have strong drafting and analytical skills combined with sound judgement;
- have proven experience in political analysis and reporting;
- have knowledge of external relations, internal policies and functioning of the Union;
- have excellent communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain a network of contacts both within and outside the EEAS;
- have the ability to communicate clearly on complex issues and the capacity to perform with accuracy and in a flexible manner a diversity of tasks in a complex institutional environment;
- have strong service attitude;
- be fluent in English (both orally and in writing) and have a working knowledge of French;
- have geographical knowledge and/or experience of the Eastern Partnership region;
- be a flexible team player.
- experience with conflict issues
- knowledge of Ukrainian or Russian language
- experience of working in a team in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment;
- experience in working with or within other EU institutions;
would be considered as strong assets.
SPECIFIC CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
The successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting if (s)he does not already hold security clearance to an appropriate level (EU SECRET), in accordance with the relevant security provisions.
PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT
Contract agent position (Function group IV); renewable contract for a maximum duration of 6 years (with a valid CAST exam).
Post vacant as of 01.04.2019, possibly 01.02.2019
Interviews will be scheduled for the first week of January (only short-listed candidates will be contacted).
Deadline for sending application. Please send your CV and cover letter to the Head of Division, Richard Tibbels, at the following email address EURCA-EASTemail@example.com by 13 December 2019.