The European Union Delegation to the Republic of Malawi is looking for
PROJECT OFFICER – GOOD GOVERNANCE
Economic and Public Affairs Section
Ref No: ADM/DAL-I/57322/2019
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 28 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to Malawi's mission is to support Malawi and its population effectively in its development ambitions; notably, eradicating poverty and fighting inequality, achieving economic growth, integrating its economy into the world economy and becoming a mature and well governed democracy, while taking into account the interests of the European Union.
We offer a post of Project Officer – Good Governance in Economic and Public Affairs (ECOPA) Section of the Delegation. Under the supervision of the Team Leader of the ECOPA Section, the Project Officer – Good Governance will monitor the implementation, management and evaluation of various good governance programmes and projects, in consultation with the National Authorising Officer’s support Unit and in close cooperation with the project support units.
This key post within the Economic and Public Affairs Section of the EU Delegation requires a dynamic and committed individual who has a sound understanding of governance issues in Malawi. S/he will need to be able to work effectively as a team member of the Economic and Public Affairs Section principally on governance issues as well as to contribute, if required, in the broader economic and trade and public affairs responsibilities of the section.
Main Functions and duties:
- Assist in all aspects of programme management including the preparation of reports and documents as required.
- Follow public affairs and political developments as well as good governance issues, including access to justice, rule of law, accountability and the fight against corruption.
- Assist in the programming, identification, formulation and implementation of projects in the area of governance, including access to justice, rule of law, accountability and the work with Non-State Actors;
- Prepare draft terms of reference for tenders and contracts, participate in contract negotiations, preparation of contracts and contract amendments or revisions;
- Monitor the implementation of EU/GoM development cooperation by beneficiaries, including procurement, financial transactions, reporting, visibility actions etc, in line with relevant Financing Agreements and Contracts;
- Validate all invoices and payment certificates for relevant projects, to ensure that they comply with relevant Financing Agreements and Contracts as well as with EU rules and procedures;
- Maintain project files in accordance with EU official requirements;
- Attend Project Steering Committee or other relevant project meetings, meetings with other donors and/or Government representatives as required;
- Coordinate with other stakeholders in the area of good governance;
- Participate in the dialogue with the GOM;
- Assess proposals for funding under the European Union general budget and prepare local calls for proposals as needed;
- Contribute to diffusing information about EU support;
- Assist with evaluations and audits.
- University degree, preferably Masters Degree, in Political or Social Science, Law or a related field is required.
Experience and knowledge:
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant post-degree work experience are required, preferably in the area of development cooperation. Experience in an international organisation or diplomatic mission would be an asset.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English are required, as well as good presentational skills and knowledge of basic IT tools.
Abilities and skills:
- Proven record in project management abilities, as well as an astute political mind and a sound sense of judgement;
- A self-starter and motivated professional with an eye to detail, able to set priorities and respect deadlines, and to convert those into plans and actions
- Good resilience, showing drive and determination in the pursuit of goals, even when faced with difficulties and/or when working under pressure.
- Excellent ability to work in a team and to build positive working relationships with staff, colleagues, senior management, local authorities and representatives of member states.
- Sharing the principles of the European Union, and wanting to make a positive difference in his/her country through development cooperation.
- Sound creative/inventive approach to problem solving.
How to apply:
Applications including a detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a letter indicating the job reference number ADM/AL-I/57322/2019 should be submitted to:
The Head of Administration
POST REFERENCE: ADM/AL-I/57322/2019
NOT TO BE OPENED BY THE INTERNAL MAIL DEPARTMENT
European Union Delegation to Malawi
Area 18 Roundabouts, Corner of M1 and Presidential Way
P.O. Box 30102, Lilongwe 3, Malawi
In order to meet the deadline applications may be sent by fax to +265 1 773 382 or by email to:
Closing date for receipt of applications: 10th June 2019
(Applications must have reached the delegation by this date)
Candidates who have not been contacted by 30th June 2019 should consider that there is no follow up to their application and the EU Delegation will not further advise unsuccessful candidates.
Short listed candidates will be invited to interviews and may be asked to sit a written test, once approval to proceed has been received by Brussels. Salary will depend on number of years of relevant experience. The vacancy is for a permanent contract.
The European Union is an equal opportunity employer and the Delegation is a smoke free environment. Recruitment of the successful candidate will be subject to medical fitness. The Delegation has HIV/Aids at the workplace policy.
The Delegation reserves the right to establish a reserve list of suitable candidates for future posts.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone: please address any queries concerning this procedure to delegation-malawi-HOA@eeas.europa.eu