The EU maintains diplomatic relations with nearly all countries in the world. It has strategic partnerships with key international players, is deeply engaged with emerging powers around the globe, and has signed bilateral Association Agreements with a number of states in its vicinity. Abroad, the Union is represented by a network of 136 EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
- ensures the representation of the European Union to Papua New Guinea;
- ensures the follow-up of bilateral relations in the areas of political, economic, trade and external assistance cooperation;
- ensures the follow-up and the execution of the financial and contractual aspects of the assistance cooperation with Papua New Guinea;
- ensures the follow-up of European Union policies in all sectors;
- promotes and defends the values and interests of the European Union (including the promotion of human rights, democracy and the rule of law as well as the collaboration between state and non-state actors).