Component 1: Strengthening Trade Support Institutions;
Component 2: Improving Business and Investment Climate;
Component 3: Improving Quality Infrastructure.
Main accomplishments to date:
Strengthening Trade Support Institutions:
- Supported drafting of Trade Policy and Strategy;
- Supported development of a mechanism to monitor CET implementation;
- Capacity building to FMITI on trade policy issues;
- Provided TA and logistic support to the directorate of Trade for multilateral negotiations under the WTO to Bali and Nairobi;
- Training to National Customs Service on CET implementation and technical processes.
Improving Business and Investment Climate:
- Redrafted competition policy/bill presented to NASS and passed by the Senate now awaiting presentation for presidential assent;
- Completed systematic demarcation and land titling of over 150,000 plots in 4 municipal councils in Kano State and over 5, 000 CoO collected;
- Business licencing reforms (BLR) undertaken in Kano State for 4 key sectors (retail, manufacturing, pharmaceutical and transportation);
- The BLR project expanded to Kaduna State.
Improving Quality Infrastructure:
- National Quality Policy drafted and presented to the FEC for adoption;
- National Accreditation board established, incorporated and operational;
- National Metrological Institute undergoing construction in Enugu (75% completion);
- National Technical Regulation bodies established;
- Implementing 4 pilots on commodity value chains (dried beans, melon, shea butter and leather);
- The conduit of excellence developed now adopted by the government inter-ministerial task force on zero rejects of Nigeria exports;
- Quality Award organised for Nigeria.
Source of funds: 10th EDF (CRIS ref: 2012 / 022-911)
Total budget (EUR): 230, 500, 000
Implementation period: 4 years (2013 – 2018)
Implementing agencies: GIZ, DFID/ASI and UNIDO
Geographical region: Nationwide