Functions and duties
The section "Political, Press & Information" of the Delegation of the European Union (EU) to the Federal Republic of Nigeria and ECOWAS is seeking to fill the vacancy of a Political Officer. The section is responsible for politics,information and communication for the Delegation.
Under the supervision of the Head of Section/Team leader, the responsibilities include the following:
- Liaise with local authorities, institutions and colleagues in the diplomatic community and support policy dialogue with relevant ministries, agencies, development partners and other relevant stakeholders in all areas of concern to the sector
- Monitor and analyse political aspects and implications of EU co-operation activities in Nigeria.
- Follow and analyse the human rights situation, issues of concern to the civil society and issues of democratic development.
- Contribute and analyse the political and social situation in Nigeria and its regional context, including the political and communication annual review.
- Analyse developments in the sector and contributing to the preparation of sector reports for the Delegation and headquarters
In the performance of the above-mentioned duties, the Political Officer will work closely with other staff in the Section and within the Delegation, particularly with the Trade and Operations sections. Reporting to the Head of Section, the Political Officer is expected to contribute to the political analysis and reporting, research, networking with stakeholders and participating for the EU at various forums.
The position requires excellent analytical, drafting and communication skills. Furthermore, the ability to work under pressure in a team or individually on specific tasks and to adapt to a multi-cultural environment is required.
Candidates are also expected to be able to communicate complex information in a comprehensible manner, be flexible towards new demands and deliver their outputs in a structured way. The Political Officer will contribute to information exchange, coordination and policy dialogue with national and international development partners,regional, national and local government actors, civil society and the private sector.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
A University level education in a relevant field of Political Sciences, such as, International Relations, political economy, history, public policy and political methodology, sociology, public administration, political theory or development studies with at least 5 years of relevant experience. Alternatively, a Master's degree with 3 years relevant experience in the fields mentioned is required. Additional education and/or experience in the area of political and human rights or project management would be highly advantageous.
At least 3 years of relevant experience in political and human rights and related project management activities in Nigeria. Previous experience in working for international organisations in the area would be considered an advantage.
- Full computer literacy, covering all relevant Office applications
- Knowledge of project monitoring methods and technique
- Capacity to deliver results in a structured way
- Capacity to communicate technical or specialised information
- Ability to work in a proactive, autonomous and organised way
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Working knowledge of French is considered as an asset
The gross basic salary will be set in accordance with relevant salary scale depending on years of relevant professional experience.
Applications should consist of two separated documents:
- A motivation letter of maximum one page
- Curriculum Vitae of maximum of three pages.
The Job number 64783 has to be indicated at the top of the application. No further documents are required at this stage.
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
Submissions can only be made by e-mail to:
Delegationfirstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading: “Political Officer - Job no 64783” addressed to: the Head of Administration, Delegation of the European Union to the Federal Republic of Nigeria. The deadline for submission of applications for this post is Sunday 20th August 2017.
Applications received after the deadline or which do not conform to these instructions will be automatically rejected.
Only candidates short-listed for an interview will be contacted.
The information and conditions related to this position are not legally binding, and may be subject to change before a contract is agreed.