VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT – Driver Maiduguri
The European Commission’s Directorate General for European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations (ECHO) funds relief operations for victims of natural disasters and conflicts outside the European Union. For humanitarian aid, the Commission works with about 200 operational partners, including United Nations agencies, the Red Cross/Crescent movement and non-governmental organizations (NGOs). Aid is channelled impartially, straight to victims, regardless of their race, ethnic group, religion, gender, age, nationality or political affiliation.
The ECHO office in Abuja, Nigeria, requires a driver who will be based in Maiduguri with frequent travel to other cities of the northern Nigeria states.
The candidate must:
- Have a secondary education certificate or equivalent
- Possess a valid driver’s licence
- Demonstrate 5 years of relevant experience driving 4WDs with a safe driving record
- Possess good communication skills and demonstrate ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Demonstrate basic computer literacy
- Be fluent in English (oral and written) plus excellent knowledge of Hausa. Good knowledge of Kanuri is an asset.
A detailed List of competences and Terms of reference are available at
As a part of a small but dynamic team, the driver will carry out activities under the guidance from the Programme Officer such as:
- Drive ECHO vehicles upon request according to ECHO vehicle guidelines
- Ensure proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle so that the vehicle is kept clean and in good running condition at all times
- Maintain all records related to the use of ECHO vehicles such as Vehicle Daily Log and Vehicle History Record, and regularly submit them to relevant administration staff.
- Support general office administration
The position is open to all nationals of Nigeria and other residents holding a valid working permit or able to obtain such working permit before the foreseen recruitment date.
Applications including a cover letter, a detailed CV, academic and employment certificates should be sent by e-mail to mailbox email@example.com until 02/06/2017 midnight Local Time Abuja at the latest.
The vacancy reference must be clearly indicated in the subject line.
Only the short-listed candidates will be contacted. Candidates who will not have been contacted by 30/06/2017 should consider that they have not been selected.
Any form of canvassing, soliciting or influencing will be treated as grounds for disqualification.