Delegation of the European Union to Myanmar

Travel to the EU from Myanmar (Burma)

12/05/2016 - 15:10
Travel to the EU


1. What is the Schengen visa?

One visa for many European countries. Schengen is the name of a small town in Luxembourg, where a treaty on visa cooperation was signed. Currently 26 European countries – the “Schengen States” – share a common visa policy. The Schengen States are the following EU member states: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden as well as the non-EU member states Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

No border controls. Within the Schengen area, there are no checks at the borders between Schengen countries. A person with a Schengen Visa may travel freely to all of the 26 participating countries without the need to acquire individual visas.

If you are going to travel to a non-Schengen EU member state (Bulgaria, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania or the UK), you need to contact the embassy of the particular country.

2. Do I need a visa to enter a Schengen State?

To find out if you need a visa to enter a Schengen State, you can consult the website of the EU Directorate General for Home Affairs here.

Myanmar citizens must be in possession of a valid visa when crossing the external borders of the Schengen area.

3. Three types of Schengen Visas

  • Short-stay visa (Type "C"): issued for one, two or several visits. Its period of validity varies. It allows stays which do not exceed three months over a six-month period.

  • Transit visa (Type "B"): issued to persons who must transit through the territory of one or more Schengen States before continuing their journey to a third country. This visa may be issued for one, two or, in exceptional circumstances, several transits. The duration of each transit must not exceed five days.
  • Airport transit visas (Type "A"): required for nationals of certain third countries who are flying to another third country but need to make a transfer in an airport of a Schengen State.

Non-EU member states use the same categories of visas.

3. Where can I get a Schengen Visa?

You can apply at any participating member state embassy in your region. If you plan visiting more than one country in Europe, you should contact the embassy of the country where you will spend most of the time. In case of doubt, you should apply for the Schengen Visa at the embassy of the country you will travel to first.

4. How do I apply for a Schengen Visa?

You can find the full list of required documents and the Schengen visa application form here.

You need in particular:

  • A valid passport with at least two empty pages and an expiration date no less than 3 months after your planned departure from the Schengen area;
  • A completed and signed visa application form;
  • A recent identity photograph conform to ICAO standards;
  • various documents relating to the purpose of your stay, evidence of means of support during your stay and your accommodation.
  • a travel medical insurance covering emergency medical, hospitalisation and repatriation (including in case of death). The minimum cover should be of 30.000 EUR.

5. How much does it cost?

A typical short stay visa fee is EUR 60. There are however circumstances where this fee can be reduced or waived. No fees can be charged for third country nationals who are family members of an EU citizen who exercise their right of free movement. Fees are waived for children under six years of age, school pupils, post graduate students and accompanying teachers who undertake trips for the purpose of study or educational training, and for researchers carrying out specifically defined scientific research (Recommendation 2005/761/EC). More detailed information is available at the embassy of the destination of your choice.

You can find a listing of EU member state embassies and diplomatic missions in Myanmar here.

You can find answers to Frequently Asked Questions here.

Embassy of the Czech Republic

H.E. Mr. Jaroslav DOLECEK

Address: 109/B2 Aung Taw Mu Lane, Thanlwin Road, Bahan Township, Yangon.

Tel: +95 (0) 1 505019, 2306174, 2306175


Embassy of Denmark


Nordic House, No.3, Pyay Road, 6 Miles, Hlaing Township, Yangon

Tel: +95 (1) 9669517-20


Embassy of France

H.E. Mr. Christian LECHERVY

102 Pyidaungsu Yeiktha Road, Yangon

Tel.: +95 (0) 1 212178, 212523

Embassy of Germany

H.E. Mr Thomas Karl NEISINGER

9 Bogyoke Aung San Museum Road, Bahan Township, Yangon

Tel : +95 (0) 1 548951-3

Embassy of Italy

H.E. Mrs Alessandra SCHIAVO

3 Inya Myaing Road, Golden Valley, Yangon

Tel: +95 (0) 1 527100-1, 525375

Embassy of the United Kingdom


80 Strand Road, Yangon

Tel: +95 (0) 1 256918, 370863/4/5/7

Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands

H.E. Mr Wouter JURGENS

No 84, 9th floor, Pan Hlaing Street, Sanchaung Township, Yangon

Tel. : +95 (0) 1 2317575-80


Embassy of Spain

Chargé d'affaires Mrs Bibian ZAMORA

Hledan Centre – 6th floor (European Union premises)
Corner of Pyay Road and Hledan Road , Kamayut Township, Yangon

Tel.: 01 230 4417

Embassy of Finland

H.E. Mrs Riikka LAATU

Nordic House, No.3, Pyay Road, 6 Miles, Hlaing Tsp

Tel:  +95 (0) 1 966 9520

Mobile: +95 (0) 9 250 271 391


Diplomatic Mission of Poland

Charge d'affaires Mr Miroslaw ZASADA

Hledan Centre – 6th Floor (European Union premises)
Corner of Pyay Road and Hledan Road, Kamayut Township, Yangon

Tel: +95 (0) 1 230 56 33-4

Swedish Section Office Yangon

Head of Office Mrs Frida ZARIC

Nordic House, No.3, Pyay Road, 6 Miles, Hlaing Tsp

Tel:  +95 (0) 1 513 459


In case of consular emergencies, EU citizens with no representation in Myanmar may turn to one of the four EU embassies below, according to the following arrangement:

  • French Embassy: citizens from Belgium, Czech Republic, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia and Spain
  • German Embassy: citizens from Austria, Hungary, Luxembourg, Poland
  • Italian Embassy: citizens from Bulgaria, Greece and Slovenia
  • British Embassy: citizens from Croatia, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, and Malta

EU citizens resident in Myanmar are invited to register at one of the EU embassies in Yangon.

Erasmus+ Scholarship

Support to education is a key priority for the EU in Myanmar. Cooperation in the field of Higher Education is essential to promote strong, long-lasting partnerships and knowledge exchange between countries around the world. It is also a catalyst for sustainable and inclusive economic growth and a vital tool in the fight against poverty.

Erasmus+ (Erasmus Plus) is the EUR 16.5 billion EU-financed programme for education, training, youth and sport, which offers opportunities for Higher Education Institutions (HEIs), students and staff from Partner Countries outside the EU. Erasmus + is being implemented by the EU's EACEA.

Are you a Student wishing to study in Europe?

There are two main avenues for individual students to study in Europe under Erasmus +:

The first is the Erasmus+ scholarship programme called Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degrees (EMJMDs) which offers the opportunity to learn more about European cultures, languages, academic systems and, not least, people at some of the best universities in Europe. Beyond improving student's expertise, the scholarships are also meant to enrich young people's life experience and help create mutual understanding and openness between people and cultures. Find the full list of EMJMDs here. Most international consortiums require applications to be submitted between October and January for courses starting the following academic year. EU-funded scholarships cover participation costs, travel, a living allowance and insurance.

The second is through Student Credit Mobility, which allows students to study at a different university abroad for a period of 3-12 months and get the credits recognised at their home university. Contact your HEI's international relations office to find out whether your institution has signed a cooperation agreement under Erasmus + in order to take part in the programme.

Are you a Staff member who wishes to deliver teaching, or follow training for your career development?

If your HEI has a cooperation agreement with European partners, you can apply for a grant to spend a period of 5 days to 2 months at partner institutions. Contact your HEI's international relations office to find out whether your institution has signed a cooperation agreement under Erasmus +.

Academics can also apply to act as guest-lecturers in any of the on-going Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degrees, by contacting the relevant Consortium directly (link to the EMJMDs).

Are you a Doctoral candidate wishing to take part in a doctoral degree programme?

You can apply for a fellowship to follow an Erasmus Mundus Joint Doctoral programme offered by a consortium of European and non-European higher education institutions. You can find the full list of doctoral programmes here.

Doctoral or post-doctoral fellowships or other research grants are also available under the Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions that can be found here.

Erasmus + for Higher Education Institutions

In addition to the abovementioned individual opportunities, Erasmus + offers opportunities on a wide range of collaborations for Higher Education Institutions (HEIs). For example, in order for student and staff mobility to take place, inter-institutional agreements have to be signed between the HEIs, and Consortiums need to be established to offer the EMJMDs. Opportunities are also available for capacity-building projects, knowledge alliances, sector skills alliances and strategic partnerships for HEIs. All of these opportunities are made available through Erasmus + Call for Proposals.

The Erasmus + Programme General Call for Proposals

You can download the Erasmus + Programme Guide to read more about the priorities of the call and instructions for submission of applicants. To stay updated on all the funding opportunities under the new call visit the EACEA website and the Facebook page of the EU Delegation to Myanmar.

Visit the website of the Call here for further information including deadlines for applications.

Where can I find more information?

Before contacting the EC or the EU Delegation, you are strongly advised to read the comprehensive list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). It is very likely that you will find the answer to your question there.

To learn more from alumni students, you may visit the website managed by the Erasmus Mundus Students and Alumni Association at:

To obtain information which is not available on the above-mentioned website, you may email us to

Below FAQs represent excerpts from the document "Erasmus+ for Higher Education Students and Staff. Frequently Asked Questions."

What does "Partner country" and "third-country national" mean?

Myanmar falls under the category of an EU "Partner country", and nationals of Myanmar falls under the category of "third-country nationals" and are therefore eligible under Erasmus +.

How do I know if I am eligible to study or do a traineeship abroad with Erasmus+?

To study/train abroad, you must be registered in a higher education institution and you must be following studies leading to a recognised degree or other recognised tertiary level qualification, such as a Bachelor, a Master or a Doctorate. Your institution must be located in one of the countries participating in Erasmus+ mobility for higher education. The selection criteria to study or train abroad with Erasmus+ are defined by your higher education institution.

What options are available if my university does not have an agreement with a university in a Programme Country for Student Credit Mobility?

Without inter-institutional agreement between both universities, you will not be eligible for credit mobility. However, there are other international opportunities under Erasmus+, such as Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degrees and Joint Doctorates.

How much is the scholarship under the Student Credit Mobility worth?

Students and doctoral candidates from Partner Countries may receive a monthly contribution to their expenses abroad of between EUR 750 and EUR 850, depending on the cost of living in the Programme Country. Staff coming from Partner Countries may get a daily contribution to their expenses of between EUR 100 and EUR 160. Each individual participant may get a travel contribution based on the distance from the sending to the receiving institution.

Editorial Sections: