The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations.
The EU Delegation to Malaysia represents the European Union in Malaysia, and plays an essential part in the EU political, economic and commercial relations with the host country, as well as providing information on the policies and institutions of the EU. It has similar function to those of an Embassy.
We offer a post of Press and Information Officer. Under this job function the successful candidate will contribute to improving the visibility of the European Union in Malaysia under the supervision and responsibility of the relevant Head of Section. This job function may be changed in accordance with the needs of the Delegation.
The working time will be in accordance with the Delegation's office working hours and conditions. The successful candidate will be offered an open-ended employment contract as Local Agent – Group I. The salary shall be commensurate with the candidate's qualification and experience. The minimum basic salary is MYR11,019 per month.
We offer a competitive position in an international environment. Benefits, such as additional pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions.
Job functions and duties
Under the direct supervision of the Head of the Political, Press and Information Section, the selected person will help raise the communication, visibility and profile of the EU and of the Delegation to Malaysia through developing the Delegation's overall communication and visibility strategy. His/her activities will comprise of:
- Planning, organising and implementing the Delegation's press and information activities, including outreach events, High Level Meetings, EU State visits as well as public affairs and cultural events.
- He/she will develop contacts/networks with media/press in Malaysia.
- He/she will initiate, prepare, evaluate and monitor press and media actions; draft, edit and distribute publication materials; monitor local press, both hard copy and online;
- Manage the Delegation's website and social media accounts;
- Prepare and manage the press & information budget of the Delegation and corresponding contracts, including procurement;
- Advise and support the Delegation on all communication matters, including interviews by the Head of Delegation.
- He/she will coordinate with the regional offices in Bangkok and Jakarta to co-ordinate to raise the visibility for EU funded activities. He/she must stay in close contact with the StratComms of the European External Action Service.
We look for
- Candidate should possess a University degree (in international relations, media, communication, journalism or other relevant field) or have obtained an equivalent level of knowledge through extensive professional experience.
- At least 5 years of working experience in the press and information, public relations, media or journalistic sectors.
- Excellent communication skills, including the use of social media.
- Good presentation skills.
- Proven networking skills.
- Fully independent in report writing and excellent drafting skills.
- Excellent ability to think analytically and innovatively.
- Capabilities to clearly, efficiently and effectively conceptualise ideas and approaches.
- Good capability to convert ideas into practical results that optimise the efficiency and effectiveness of the Delegation's public activities.
- Able to lead/introduce public events.
- Capacity to focus on priorities, to organise work and meet deadlines.
- Excellent organisational skills, including financial administration.
- Capable of producing high quality results within often tight deadlines.
- Ability to negotiate at all levels in a multicultural and multilingual environment.
- Sense of initiative.
- Excellent knowledge of the Malaysian media environment.
- Excellent knowledge of Malaysian politics.
- Excellent knowledge and practical experience of formulating (written and oral) and implementing a communication strategy.
- Excellent ability to carry out Press and Information projects such as publication editing and organisation of events.
- Knowledge of the European Union and EU-Southeast Asia relations.
Excellent command of both English and Malay (written and spoken). The command of other languages will be considered an asset.
Knowledge of IT tools
- Excellent command of Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.)
- Experience in using social media (IG, Facebook, Twitter)
- Experience in using digital editing tools (Photoshop, Canva, video editing, etc).
- Able to work as a team member with good inter-personal skills.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- A keen interest in promoting cooperation between the European Union and South East Asia / Asia.
How to apply
Please send your application and supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 June 2021.
The package should include a cover letter and a comprehensive curriculum vitae indicating education level, work experiences, current and expected salary.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone. Please address any queries concerning this procedure to the above email address.