The European Union Delegation to the Republic of Malawi is looking for
PROJECT MANAGER – INFRASTRUCTURE SPECIALIST
Social Sectors and Infrastructure Section
Ref. No: ADM/AL-I/48559/2017
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 28 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to Malawi's mission is to support Malawi and its population effectively in its development ambitions; notably, eradicating poverty, achieving economic growth, integrating its economy into the world economy and becoming a mature and well governed democracy, while taking into account the interests of the European Union.
We offer a post of Project Manager – Infrastructure Specialist in Social Sectors and Infrastructure Section of the Delegation. Under the supervision of the Team Leader of the Social Sectors and Infrastructure Section, the Project Manager - Infrastructure Specialist will supervise and monitor the implementation, management and evaluation of the European Union’s programmes and projects in Malawi related to Infrastructure, in close consultation with the National Authorising Officer’s Support Unit (NAO SU). The Project Manager - Infrastructure Specialist will mainly be in charge of the ongoing infrastructure projects and will also support other programmes of the EU Delegation with infrastructure components (including civil building). Furthermore, he/she will also support the follow-up of the European Investment Bank (EIB) projects in Malawi and support the EU's activities in area of Energy. He/she will advise the Team Leader, the Head of Cooperation and the Head of Delegation on all relevant aspects of this portfolio.
This post within the Social Sectors and Infrastructure Section of the EU Delegation requires a dynamic and committed individual.
Main Functions and duties:
- Support advance policy dialogue with national authorities and other stakeholders in the Infrastructure sector, with the objective of supporting alignment with the country's development strategy and Sectorial Policies;
- Support the capacity development of Governmental agencies in the pursuit of Malawi's development objectives within Infrastructure sector;
- Monitor development cooperation between the European Union and the Government of Malawi (GoM) in the Infrastructure and in view of promoting aid effectiveness;
- Contribute where possible to coordination and harmonisation of Infrastructure support activities with GoM and Development Partners;
- Support all aspects of programme management in the area of Infrastructure, including, identification, design and implementation of programmes and projects, public procurement processes, contract administration and supervision, in close co-operation with the NAO Support Unit and the geographical co-ordination unit;
- Ensure efficient management and implementation of the Infrastructure programmes, in respect of the EU rules and procedures, reporting and visibility guidelines;
- Prepare tender dossiers, participate in the evaluation process and prepare contracts in respect of the EU rules and procedures;
- Monitor financial and operational performance of projects through occasional field missions.
- Supervise the work of the Project Implementation Units of the relevant programmes/projects;
- Analyse periodic implementation reports, annual reports and final implementation reports;
- Prepare draft terms of reference for tenders and contracts, participate in contract negotiations, preparation of contracts and contract amendments or revisions;
- Liaise with and coordinate among a wide range of stakeholders including NAO Support Unit, Line Ministries, Civil Society Organisations and Contractors.
- Enhance visibility of EU's development assistance in the sector and contribute to diffusing information about EU support at workshops, seminars, conferences and other public events;
- Inform the Team Leader- Cooperation, Head of Cooperation, Head of Delegation and headquarters regularly on achievements and problems encountered;
- University degree in Civil engineering or related field is required.
Experience and knowledge:
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant post-degree work experience is required, preferably in the area of development cooperation
- Experience implementing Infrastructure projects;
- Experience with EU and worldwide policies on Infrastructure is an important asset;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required, as well as good presentational skills and knowledge of Word and Excel.
Abilities and skills:
The candidate must have experience in working in a team as well as working in a multicultural environment.Excellent ability to build positive working relationships with staff, colleagues.
- Good resilience, showing drive and determination in the pursuit of goals, even when faced with difficulties and when working under pressure.
- Initiative and good analytical skills
- Flexibility with regard to supporting the section when need arise with other tasks.
How to apply:
Applications including a detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a letter indicating the job reference number ADM/AL-I/48559/2017 should be submitted to:
The Head of Administration
POST REFERENCE: ADM/AL-I/48559/2017
NOT TO BE OPENED BY THE INTERNAL MAIL DEPARTMENT
European Union Delegation to Malawi
Area 18 Roundabouts, Corner of M1 and Presidential Way
P.O. Box 30102, Lilongwe 3, Malawi
In order to meet the deadline applications may be sent by fax to +265 1 773 382 or by email to:
Closing date for receipt of applications: 17th April 2017
(Applications must have reached the delegation by this date)
Candidates who have not been contacted by 27th April 2017 should consider that there is no follow up to their application and the EU Delegation will not further advise unsuccessful candidates.
Short listed candidates will be invited to interviews and may be asked to sit a written test, once approval to proceed has been received from Brussels. Salary will depend on number of years of relevant experience. The vacancy is for a permanent contract.
The European Union is an equal opportunity employer and the Delegation is a smoke free environment. Recruitment of the successful candidate will be subject to medical fitness. The Delegation has HIV/Aids at the workplace policy.
The Delegation reserves the right to establish a reserve list of suitable candidates for future posts.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone: please address any queries concerning this procedure to delegation-malawi-HOA@eeas.europa.eu