An official website of the European Union. See all European Institutions
The EU funded Twinning Project "Strengthening the capacity of the Ukrainian National Standardization Body" between Ukraine, Germany, Austria, Romania and Spain is to benefit the Ukrainian Scientific, Research and Training Centre on Standardization, Certification and Quality (UkrNDNC). The Resident Twinning Advisor (RTA) supervises the project implementation and coordinates all project activities. He is located in an office at the premises of the UkrNDNC in Kiev. The German national metrology institute (Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt, PTB), which is responsible for the project and financial management, will be the contracting institution to the RTA Language Assistant.
The purpose of the Twinning Project is to establish a system of standardization compatible with EU standardization system, thus supporting the implementation of Association Agreement / Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area (AA/DCFTA) provisions in the area of technical barriers to trade (TBTs).
Area of responsibilities:
Under the guidance of the RTA and in cooperation with the responsible counterparts at UkrNDNC, the RTA Language Assistant will be expected to carry out the following duties:
- Interpret during conferences, workshops, meeting and seminars or other oral conversations (assistant will be supported by professional interpretation for special tasks, e. g. highly specific technical texts, particular languages, size and duration of workshops etc.) from Ukrainian/ Russian to English and vice versa;
- Translate project documents (legal documents, regulations, training material, information material, reports and other written material) from Ukrainian/ Russian to English/ German/ Polish and vice versa;
- Draft written materials in relation to the project in Ukrainian/ Russian/ English languages;
- Assist the RTA and the Short Term Experts involved in the project related to language problems;
- Assist the RTA in identifying, contracting and monitoring commercial translation and interpretation services;
- Stand in for the RTA Administrative Assistant;
o Organise conferences, training sessions, workshops, meetings, expert missions and study visits;
o Assist the RTA in monitoring and reporting tasks;
o Assist the RTA in the evaluation of training activities and the project's progress;
o Perform necessary office management tasks, including filing.
o Perform other tasks as assigned.
Requirements to candidates:
- Registered as private entrepreneur in Ukraine or the willingness to register
- Preferably University degree in Translation and Interpreting in English/ German;
- At least 3 years of work experience in translation and/ or interpretation activities; experience with simultaneous interpretation would be an asset;
- Professional fluency in Ukrainian, Russian, English languages (both oral and written);
- Ability and willingness to familiarise quickly with standardisation terminology in Ukrainian/ Russian/ English languages;
- Preferably knowledge of EU structures and terminology;
- Excellent knowledge of office applications (e.g. MS Outlook, MS Excel, MS Word and MS Power Point) and internet browsers;
- Previous work experience in international projects or organisations would be an advantage;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations and to work in a team;
- Organisational and analytical skills and initiative;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Flexibility to travel within Ukraine and Europe, including passing the visa application process.
The applicant may not be (or have been in the past 6 months) a civil servant or agent of the beneficiary administration nor be on leave from the beneficiary to take up the position.
Full-time position with 40-hours working week.
Duration of the contract: up to 24 months
Envisaged start of the contract: 1st of June 2019
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine
We are looking forward to your application by e-mail comprising your CV and a cover letter until 14th of May 2019 to the following address firstname.lastname@example.org.
Short-listed candidates are invited for an interview on the 15th and 16th of May 2019 at the premises of UkrNDNC in Kyiv.