An official website of the European Union. See all European Institutions
The amount of support the EU provides Liberia makes the European Union and its Member States one of the biggest supporters of the country's development. Our support takes place mainly through:
• The European Development Fund (EDF) for Liberia which amounted to 285M USD in 2008-2013 (10th EDF) and 310 M USD for the period 2014-2020 (11th EDF). For the period 2014-2020, we have agreed to focus our support on good governance, energy, agriculture and education.
• Support to decentralization, the Liberia Reconstruction and Rehabilitation Fund, elections, budget support during Ebola, security and justice, Monrovia electricity grid, support to alternative education and vocational training are some of the biggest on-going and planned projects.
• Part of the regional funds earmarked for West Africa during the 10th and 11th EDF (597M EUR for 2008-2013 and 1.2B EUR for the period 2014-2020) will also directly and indirectly benefit Liberia for instance, the West Africa Power Pool, ECOWAS control of small arms projects or support to regional economic integration and competitiveness (through UNIDO, GIZ, IFC or the IMF).
• The European Humanitarian Aid Office (ECHO) provided approximately 240M USD from 1992 until 2013 when the permanent office closed although some of their programmes are still on-going.
• The European Investment Bank supports critical infrastructures such as the rehabilitation of the Mount Coffee hydro, the Roberts International Airport runway rehabilitation and Access Bank to provide microcredits to those in need.