The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
We offer a post of Regional Press and Information Officer (Strategic Communications). Under this post, the recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation. Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function as Regional Press and Information Officer (Strategic Communications) – this job function may be changed in accordance with the needs of the Delegation. Under this job function, the successful candidate will:
- Analyse the trends and developments in the regional information environment and provide recommendations for improving the understanding of the EU's values, policies and projects based on fact-based information and proactive communication;
- Establish and maintain a network of key information environment experts in the region, who could support the EU Delegation in its monitoring and awareness raising activities;
- Design, implement and coordinate campaigns, outreach events and communication projects on specific issues and priorities, including with a goal to address disinformation targeting the EU and its policy and/or activities in the region;
- Closely cooperate with the EEAS Strategic Communications Task Forces;
- Perform other tasks as designated by the Head of Section, according to the needs of the Delegation;
- Replace the other Press and Information Officers in their absence.
S/he will work in a multicultural working environment. Fixed Term Employment contract of 3 years duration after 3 months probationary period. The length of the working week shall be 37.5 working hours. The Delegation premises are located in City Hill bloc 61-10, Zokak El Blat, Barbir Str., Beirut. The post falls under Group I with a starting basic salary 4.414 EUR.
We offer a competitive position in an international environment. Benefits, such as additional pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions.
- Medically fit to perform the required duties;
- Enjoys civil rights and permits for employment under local law;
- Has a perfect knowledge of English language and a native command of the Arabic language;
- IT tools: Good computer skills on MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail applications, social media platforms relevant for the above-mentioned tasks;
- Professional experience: At least three (3) years of experience in communications, preferably in an international and multi-cultural environment;
- Have completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma, preferably in journalism, communications, political science, or other related field;
- Have a good knowledge of the regional Middle-Eastern region and politics;
- Have experience in communications and public diplomacy (e.g. strategic communications, media relations, campaigning, content production, marketing, online marketing, social media management, audio-visual content development, strategic communications in countering violent extremism);
- Have the capacity to create constructive working relations with key partners in the country, building up a local network;
- Have strong drafting and analytical skills combined with sound judgement, rapid grasp of problems and the capacity to identify issues and solutions;
- Have knowledge of external relations, internal policies and functioning of the European Union;
- Have excellent communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain a network of contacts both within and outside the Delegation;
- Have the ability to communicate clearly on complex issues and the capacity to perform with accuracy and in a flexible manner a diversity of tasks in a complex institutional environment;
- Have a knowledge of social media platforms, especially Twitter and Facebook and other locally trending social media platforms.
The following will be considered an asset:
- Experience of working in a team in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment;
- Experience of working with social media analytics;
- Experience in public speaking;
- Good command of French and knowledge of an additional EU language would be considered as a strong asset
- Knowledge of additional regional languages would be considered as an asset
How to apply
Please send your application and supporting documents to email@example.com clearly indicating in the subject field the position applied for Regional Press and Information Officer (Strategic Communications).
The package should include:
- EU CV Format chapter_6_annex_en_local_agent_model_of_cv.doc
- A cover letter explaining the motivations in applying for the post in either English or French;
- Scanned copies of relevant diplomas / certificates of degrees and work experience;
- At least 2 references.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone: please address any queries concerning this procedure to firstname.lastname@example.org
After the deadline for applications, the applications will be reviewed by a Selection Committee set up for this purpose. The Selection Committee will prepare a short-list of candidates who are considered to be the most suitable for the post on the basis of a preliminary assessment of the information provided in their application letter and the supporting documents. The short-listed candidates will be invited to an assessment phase which may include an interview if necessary – during this phase, the Selection Committee will assess the suitability of the candidates for the post.
The candidates who have not been short-listed will not be contacted individually; however, the Delegation will use the same means of publication as for this Vacancy Notice to inform the remaining candidates once the recruitment procedure has been completed and that a candidate has (or has not) been recruited.
The deadline for applications is: 23/10/2020
Expected Starting Date: As soon as conditions allow