An official website of the European Union. See all European Institutions
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 28 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation represents the EU in Japan. It enjoys the full status of a diplomatic mission with the Ambassador as Head of Mission. It also has a unique multicultural working environment employing around 60 members of staff of which 1/3 are European Union nationals and the remaining are locally recruited staff (mainly Japanese nationals).
The Ambassador of the EU to Japan offers the post of Chef de cuisine which will become vacant as of September 23rd. The successful candidate will work as Chef de cuisine. In particular the tasks will include:
- To lead and manage the daily kitchen operation of the EU Residence as well as official entertainments both at the EU Ambassador's residence and the EU Delegation premises (including receptions for several hundred guests, lunches, dinners, buffet events etc.).
- To create innovative menus based on European, Japanese and Asian cuisine tailored to the objective of each event.
- To manage stock of food, drink and kitchen/catering supplies and maintain and oversee kitchen space and facilities with high standards of cleanliness and hygiene.
- To deal with administrative work including financial accounting, attending meetings, writing e-mails, managing working hours and co-ordinating with EU Member States Embassy Chefs.
- To work cooperatively in a multinational team with other residence and EU Delegation colleagues.
The chef is domestic staff in the EU Ambassador's residence of the EU Delegation.
Working hours and holidays:
Weekly working time is fixed at 40 hours with two days off per week. Services rendered in excess of normal working hours will be compensated by free time. Willingness to work irregular hours, including evenings and weekends, is essential.
Place of employment:
EU Ambassador's residence, Minami-Azabu, Minato-ku, Tokyo
Education: Professional training as a Chef
Required: Certificate and previous experience as Chef de cuisine
Appreciated: Experience of working with a diplomatic mission; administrative skills such as experience of resources management e.g. budget and cash handling; basic IT skills..
Required: Proficiency of English
Appreciated: Basic Japanese, Knowledge of other European Union language(s)
Flexibility, capacity to work under pressure, ability to work in a team
How to apply
To apply please send a detailed curriculum vitae with a recent photo and a cover letter in English by mail to:
Head of Administration
European Union Delegation to Japan
4-6-28 Minami-Azabu, Minato-ku
Tokyo 106-0047; Japan
Deadline for receiving applications: 6 September 2019
1) Candidates whose qualifications do not comply with minimum requirements of the job specifications will be excluded.
2) Candidates will then be shortlisted on the basis of documents submitted.
3) Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview and might be asked to prepare a trial meal.
4) The selected candidate will be invited to provide the original documentation (diplomas, certificates, etc.).
Please address any queries concerning this procedure to firstname.lastname@example.org .