The ECHO Amman Regional Office is seeking to recruit one Programme Assistant
The European Commission’s Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection (ECHO), funds relief operations for victims of natural disasters and conflicts outside the European Union. For humanitarian aid, the Commission works with about 200 operational partners, including United Nation agencies, the Red Cross/Crescent movement and non-governmental organizations (NGOs). Aid is channeled impartially, straight to victims, regardless of their race, ethnic group, religion, gender, age, nationality or political affiliation.
TASKS AND RESPONSABILITIES
As a part of the Jordan country team, the Programme Assistant of the Amman Office, Jordan will carry out activities such as:
1. Programme work
- Contributes to the appraisal, monitoring and evaluation of projects, including financial assessment of proposals;
- Critically studies and comments upon partners’ reports and field operations and reports to line manager;
- Assists the Head of Office/TA in the preparation of fiche-ops, as appropriate;
- Assists with, participate in, and report on meetings, as appropriate;
- Advises on the operational capacity of implementing partners;
- Drafts reports on the humanitarian situation, including any political, economic and security events relevant to the analysis of the humanitarian situation in the country/region;
- Produces and circulates information of common interest (humanitarian situation reports, background information, etc);
- Accompanies the TA on field visits, as requested and may act as an interpreter if necessary.
- Assists the HoO/TA in the event of an emergency response;
- Prepares maps, when appropriate;
- Provides back-stopping and surge support capacity in case of need.
2. Specific duties
- Pro-actively follows local or regional events that may impact on the humanitarian situation in the country/region;
- Appraises, monitors and evaluates projects and reports to the line manager.
3. Working with partners
- Maintains contacts with ECHO’s partners, advising the TA of any major issues arising;
- Ensures communications with ECHO’s partners, including establishing and maintaining a database of relevant organisations and personnel;
- Maintains contracts/grants database.
4. Representing ECHO
- Participates in meetings, as requested and appropriate;
- Liaises with local authorities and institutions, as delegated and appropriate;
- Assists with enhancing the visibility and communication of ECHO’s overall assistance.
5. Other specific tasks/responsibilities (if/when applicable)
- Provides reports and other ad-hoc documents as requested and to be verified and agreed by the HoO/TA;
- Responds to requests for information as delegated;
- Prepares missions: agenda setting, contacts with partners, programming visits, meetings, etc;
- Undertakes any additional tasks as assigned by the TA, Head of Office/RSO and/or Headquarters.
1. Professional experience
- Relevant first level university degree or equivalent professional experience;
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience at national or international level in supporting programme/project operations, including at least 2 years of experience with an NGO, donor or national/international organization;
- Good knowledge of the EU humanitarian aid system;
- Good knowledge of International NGOs, UN Aid agencies and Red Cross Movement;
- Good understanding of Humanitarian Aid principles, policies and Standards;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc).
- Excellent knowledge of English and Arabic (verbal & writing).
- Drive for results
- Conduct in Service
- Working with others
- Managing and organising information
- Strategic thinking and planning
- Organisational awareness
- Adaptability and flexibility
This position is open to nationals and other residents of Jordan with valid work and residence permits.
DG ECHO applies a policy of equal opportunities. Our recruitment policy is based on respect for diversity, maintaining the gender balance, as well as the balance between professional and private life, and support for training and developments opportunities.
The salary for the position will start from JOD 1,658.00 plus other benefits. This salary is an average basic salary with 10 years of work experience for this post, which will be adapted according to the exact duration of relevant professional experience supported by a work certificate. Besides the basic salary, the employee will receive disability / retirement allowance, a 13th salary, as well as a medical coverage.
HOW TO APPLY
Only applications including a cover letter and a detailed CV will be considered.
Deadline: 13 November 2018 at midnight (Amman time)
Apply here: https://bit.ly/2DnK3Qk
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Candidates who will not have been contacted by 25th December 2018 should consider that they have not been selected.
Any form of canvassing, soliciting or influencing will be treated as grounds for disqualification.