Ambassador Vincent Guérend
It is my pleasure to welcome you to the website of the Delegation of the European Union (EU) to Indonesia and Brunei Darussalam. We are located in Jakarta and represent the EU in the Republic of Indonesia and to the Sultanate of Brunei Darussalam. This website is intended as a source of information and news on EU-Indonesia and EU-Brunei relations, as well as the EU's cooperation projects and activities. The website will give you the full picture. An average of 400 people visit our website each day.
Europe and Indonesia have long-standing relations that continue to deepen and enrich our respective cultures. Over the past few years, our relationship with Indonesia has become closer and stronger. Since 2014, the EU and Indonesia have been linked by a Partnership and Cooperation Agreement, which has been ratified by the respective Parliaments on both sides. Indonesia is the first ASEAN country to benefit from such a high level and comprehensive agreement with the EU which deepens our political discourse and provides the legal basis for a broad range of bilateral dialogues.
The depth and breadth of our relationship was best illustrated by the official visit of the Indonesian President Joko Widodo to the EU Institutions on 21 April 2016; as well as the official visit of the EU High Representative/ Vice-President of the European Commission Federica Mogherini to Jakarta on 8-9 April 2016.
Indonesia is a key partner of the EU as the fourth most populous country in the world, the tenth largest world economy in purchase price parity and a G20 member. The EU is the world’s number one economy and integrated trade actor, the biggest donor of aid and a major high-tech hub. The depth and the importance of Indonesia's relations with the EU can be well illustrated by the following facts:
- 9000 Indonesians study in Europe of which 1600 have received scholarships from the EU and its Member States
- The EU has spent more than € 500 million development grant assistance in Indonesia over the last ten years, in particular to promote basic education for all, to support efforts against climate change and deforestation and to promote good governance
- European companies are among the first to provide foreign direct investments and technology transfer in Indonesia and provide jobs for more than one million people in the country
- The EU represents the largest export market for Indonesia's goods and furthermore is the largest trade partner with which Indonesia enjoys a trade surplus
- The EU also actively supports ASEAN integration and supports Indonesia through ASEAN in the areas of connectivity, climate change and governance. The first EU Ambassador dedicated to ASEAN has been appointed in September 2015.
The objective of the EU Delegation is to strengthen even further these relations in all fields through enhanced dialogues and contacts not only between governments and parliaments but also with civil society and more broadly by people to people contacts both with Indonesia and with Brunei.
I invite you to visit our website regularly and hope that you will find the information you are looking for, including useful links to the activities of the EU. We look forward to your involvement and if you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact us. Your feedback will be very welcome. You can follow our activities also on Twitter and on Facebook!
Thank you, Terima kasih
EU Ambassador/ Head of the EU Delegation to Indonesia and Brunei Darussalam
Read more about Ambassador Vincent GUÉREND